Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Set-Up Question

iwalktheline

I recently acquired an epiphone Les Paul standard (a real beauty) and took it for a set up. I got her back the other day and to my ears she just doesn't sound in tune on the g and d strings. I had told the tech that prior to me bringing it in the g string was going out of tune quite a bit. He told me he had checked and found that it was a loose tuner. He told me all should be well now. I played her awhile the day I got her back and really didn't notice anything but last night especially when I would go to play a d & e chord it just didn't sound right. So I would check the tuning and everything was in tune but whenever I would play mainly those chords it would sound way off. I trust the the tech, he has done work on my Gibson acoustics and my martin as well, and has done great work. Can you guys maybe think of anything simple that it could be? I'm at a loss here and can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be great or advice would be great.

actually, yes its is. I had checked numerous times last night. I thought that was something they were supposed to check for a setup.

Think so, too. Perhaps the nut is very slightly too high at the G3rd slot? Most plain G3rds also tend to go sharp considerably when fretted, especially at the lowest frets. My workaround is fretting them slightly more firmly during attack and then decreasing finger force past the transient.

Perhaps the nut is very slightly too high at the G3rd slot? Most plain G3rds also tend to go sharp considerably when fretted, especially at the lowest frets.

Yup, good observation. [thumbup]

If the nut slots are too low the strings will "choke out". If too high, you are pressing too far down to contact the fret. This sends the note sharp.

The results can be a particular problem on the 1st through 3rd frets.

Iwalktheline,

Here are three methods for checking nut slot depth/height:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4615540-post22.html

If you find something questionable, you can take it back to your tech.

The two of you will have something to talk about.

Willy

Some of us prefer using a wound G string instead of a plain steel one. You might want to try one to see how it works for you. I've never been happy with plain G strings on any of my guitars - they always sound out of tune to me. You can buy a single one of the correct gauge, or get a set like D'Addario EXL-110W, which has one (the only difference from their "regular" 10s set being the wound G).

Some of us prefer using a wound G string instead of a plain steel one. You might want to try one to see how it works for you. I've never been happy with plain G strings on any of my guitars - they always sound out of tune to me. You can buy a single one of the correct gauge, or get a set like D'Addario EXL-110W, which has one (the only difference from their "regular" 10s set being the wound G).

Yes i was going to recommend that as well.

I've never had a wound g on my electrics electric but I've played with one on others and my acoustics and find that the fretted notes seem more on tune than plain Gs.

I just ordered a pack of those, hopefully it works out. I did change the strings to 10's, they had 9's on it. It seems to sound a bit better already.

I just ordered a pack of those, hopefully it works out. I did change the strings to 10's, they had 9's on it. It seems to sound a bit better already.

[thumbup] Way to go - heavier strings usually will intonate better.

Update- So I took the les paul back to my tech I usually go to and he was nice enough to go over it while I waited. He said that the intonation was a bit off because I switched the strings but nothing major. But, he did have to adjust the nut a bit at the g & d string. I guess he missed it the first time. He actually played it I front of me to show that it was not going out of tune anymore. So far so good, he did however mention that epi and gibson les pauls do have this issue from time to time.

Archived