Gibson Brands Forums

2010 Gibson Les Paul Weight Relief

Bryn6490

I'm getting ready to buy a NOS Gibson 2010 Les Paul Standard. Is the guitar Chambered or Modern Weight Relief?

Should be chambered. They started Modern Weight Relief in late 2011 for some limited run and the 2012 Standards.

Should be chambered. They started Modern Weight Relief in late 2011 for some limited run and the 2012 Standards.

Cool, I'm still getting the guitar It just felt lighter than any Les Paul I have ever played. Hopefully I will have My new Les Paul this Friday.

When you say a 2010 standard is it the robot one, or a earlier Standard made in 2010?

b7c8ff4e-0218-424c-96ae-1e2fdaede006_zps400074a2.jpg

also there was a recent article on the Gibson site about weight relief.. here

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Lighten-Your-Les-Paul-Load.aspx

It's not a robot guitar. It says Standard on the truss cover and there is a clear cover over the tone/vol controls. The tuners are locking Grover tuners. The serial number says it was made in 2010.

It's not a robot guitar. It says Standard on the truss cover and there is a clear cover over the tone/vol controls. The tuners are locking Grover tuners. The serial number says it was made in 2010.

Sounds like it may be a 2008 Standard...

I have one of those :) (mine was actually made in 2011) great guitars with burstbucker pros and locking bridge and tailpiece too.. With an asymmetrical 60s neck... And yes if its one of those, its chambered...

If you take the pickups out you should see some markings inside the cavities.. that will tell you what it is (or you could mail the serial number and pictures to Gibson and they will confirm it)

Ohh and heres the link for the 2008 Standard model

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

I thought that chambered was modern weight relief.

Gibson re-designed the weight-relief chambers into the 'spoke-wheel' type pattern a year or so ago and this is what they call 'Modern Weight-relief'.

The 'old-fashioned' (since circa 1982) 9-hole weight-relief method (A.K.A. Swiss Cheese) is now called 'Traditional Weight-Relief' and is still used for some models.

Chambered is still called 'Chambered'.

P.

EDIT : Posting this immediately would have saved my typing tips........lol!

gibson-weight-relief-bodies_zps6b6cdc7b.jpg

Gibson re-designed the weight-relief chambers into the 'spoke-wheel' type pattern a year or so ago and this is what they call 'Modern Weight-relief'.

The 'old-fashioned' (since circa 1982) 9-hole weight-relief method (A.K.A. Swiss Cheese) is now called 'Traditional Weight-Relief' and is still used for some models.

Chambered is still called 'Chambered'.

P.

EDIT : Posting this immediately would have saved my typing tips........lol!

gibson-weight-relief-bodies_zps6b6cdc7b.jpg

'''''Every Picture Tells a Story''''

Archived