Gibson Brands Forums

New G400 Pros versus "old regulars"

Tiedemies

Hey everyone, new guy here.

It's always a good idea to start one's forum career with a question, so here goes. How much better the new Epiphone G400 pros are compared to earlier, "regular" G400s, if any? Is it just the pickups (Alnico Classic Pros) or are the electronics of better quality too? I've heard good things, especially about the pro pickups, but was just wondering since I have a Worn Brown one and might be interested upgrading if the difference is noticeable. Though I have to say I really like the feel of my current one, but the sound could use a little more punch.

"When you say "older," how much older? There have been several types of pickups used on Epiphone guitars made in different plants at different times. The new ones are Alnico Classic Pros are distinctly better than many of the older ones, but there's a certain amount of individual taste as well --- you may prefer something different than what the next player does.

If you like the feel of your guitar, but just want a bit more "punch," as you put it, you might consider replacing the pickups (and/or wiring harness) with something more to your taste rather than replacing the whole guitar.

I have a 2001 Samick G-400. It (like the faded) has the Alnico Classic pickups. I don't know the difference between those and the Alnico Classic Pro pups other than the coil-split capabilities. I like the sound of my guitar a lot actually and have never thought about swapping out the pups.

"When you say "older," how much older? There have been several types of pickups used on Epiphone guitars made in different plants at different times. The new ones are Alnico Classic Pros are distinctly better than many of the older ones, but there's a certain amount of individual taste as well --- you may prefer something different than what the next player does.

If you like the feel of your guitar, but just want a bit more "punch," as you put it, you might consider replacing the pickups (and/or wiring harness) with something more to your taste rather than replacing the whole guitar.

Mainly I was referring to regular G400s from maybe 2008-2009 onwards, so not "old" per se. The worn series may be even better comparison since it's still sold with the non-pro Alnico Classics.

Regarding my Worn one, it's a tough decision since it's a sturdy, solid guitar apart from a little flimsy pickup selector. Neck is just fantastic, relief was spot on when I got it and has not moved at all in a year. The humidity and temperatures has varied greatly within that time period, mind you. Feels great, plays great.

When taking into consideration that I don't need the coil-tapping functionality, maybe I should just hang on to this and as you said, look into electric upgrades first. Punch might been a wrong word for what I'm looking for, maybe a bit more clarity and attack would have been better. The current sound is a bit muddy and not that defined when dialing in that 70s rock crunch.

The current sound is a bit muddy and not that defined when dialing in that 70s rock crunch.

Welcome, Tiedemies. What you describe there is the usual criticism of the Classics pickups. If you want a cheap upgrade, I first tried GFS Vintage 59's and they were good for the money, clearer and tighter than the Epi's. Of course there are lots of other options and it depends what you want to spend.

Welcome, Tiedemies. What you describe there is the usual criticism of the Classics pickups. If you want a cheap upgrade, I first tried GFS Vintage 59's and they were good for the money, clearer and tighter than the Epi's. Of course there are lots of other options and it depends what you want to spend.

Thank you for the suggestion. Toneriders seem like a good deal as well, maybe even simple electrics upgrade would be enough. I'm guessing that the difference between my "regular", albeit worn G400 and the new pros in terms of sound isn't that big (subjective, I know). I'm leaning towards upgrading what I have since otherwise I like it very much.

My first Epiphone was a Worn Cherry G-400 that I had a couple of years ago. Neck and frets were great, pickups were kind of meh, and one the pots was installed at an odd angle that gave me OCD. I recently picked up a 1966 G-400 Pro in Pelham Blue that is a keeper. The Alnico Classic Pro pickups sound much better and the pots/toggle switch appear to be better quality. Very good bang for your buck.

My first Epiphone was a Worn Cherry G-400 that I had a couple of years ago. Neck and frets were great, pickups were kind of meh, and one the pots was installed at an odd angle that gave me OCD. I recently picked up a 1966 G-400 Pro in Pelham Blue that is a keeper. The Alnico Classic Pro pickups sound much better and the pots/toggle switch appear to be better quality. Very good bang for your buck.

Congrats on the guitar, I've been eyeing that exact one. Full pickguard, the new Alnico Pros, lovely colour...

Anyways, you mentioned that you're finding a significant difference in the pickups? Would you describe them tighter/clearer sounding than the ones in you Worn Cherry?

The Pro pickups seem to be a bit fuller with more bite than the Classics in my old worn Cherry. I lucked out and got mine at the local GC on clearance for $259.00 so it was a steal

Oh man, even better. You got a sweet deal I'd say. Thanks for your view on the pickups too, I think I'll have to experiment a little with some upgrades on mine.

Archived