Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone familiar w/ maple bodied OM sized Masterbilts?

dannyelectro

Searching the acoustic guitar forum a gentleman there bought a EF-500PNS sometime in 2005, apparently in NYC, so that effectively eliminates the theory of it being a prototype (unless you purchased his)?

Let me make this even more interesting, another post on there a gentleman mentioned he had a EF-500 ANS (not listed in the Epiphonewiki either).

MasterbiltEF500ANS.jpg

MasterbiltEFANSback.jpg

Do you have a link to the thread?

It could still be a preproduction guitar if the serial is 03 and was bought NOS in 2005. There is no mention of the maple EF-500 in any Epiphone catalog.

The guitar in the pics is a EF-500RA, which is in the wiki. Even if the model number says ANS, it is still an RA. Variations to the model number could include RA, ANS or RANS.

R - rosewood

A- Abalone (this guitar only - on other guitars the "A" would indicate "ash". which is clearly not the case here)

NS - Natural Satin finish.

Alternatively, VS for Vintage Sunburst finish, so the VS model could read AVS or RAVS. Epiphone only had this listed in the general term of "RA" in the catalogs, so that was how I entered it in the wiki. I'll amend it to reflect the color options.

The EF-500ANS was introduced in 2004 as one of the first modern Masterbilt models, and sold for a couple of years. It's probably just an oversight if it is missing from the wikki.

The EF500P never appeared in a catalog, as far as I know. I do believe it is a prototype, photo sample, or one of a small number made as a test run, especially because of the label: the first catalog pictures of Masterbilts (2004) showed them with the standard oval label that all Epiphones got at the time (these would have been guitars built especially as photo samples and for trade shows, etc.). However, production models were released with the unique square label with Masterbilt logo.

Whatever you want to call these oval-label Masterbilts, the maple EF was very likely from this extremely limited batch, and was disposed of (sold) to recoup costs, once it was determined that model would not be sold commercially. This is a common practice by Gibson/Epiphone, and results in the unearthing of some oddballs from time to time. The other maple EF example you found on the Acoustic Guitar forum would be one of these. The timing is right, since Masterbilts were introduced as 2004 models, and you say he bought it in 2005.

FWIW, Gibson prototypes are usually embossed with a protype marking, but I don't think Epiphone models are.

Red 333

Just the reply I was hoping for. This kind of insight is why I love the forums. Somebody almost always has a pretty good idea how things work.

Thanks all.

FWIW, Gibson prototypes are usually embossed with a protype marking, but I don't think Epiphone models are.

Red 333

Red, sometimes Epiphone prototypes are marked and sometimes they are not. Some will have "prototype" on the label, while othess may have a seperate, or second label. Some protos just have a weird serial that starts with "X" or something. I think it all depends on when, where and why the prototype was made.

Red, sometimes Epiphone prototypes are marked and sometimes they are not. Some will have "prototype" on the label, while othess may have a seperate, or second label. Some protos just have a weird serial that starts with "X" or something. I think it all depends on when, where and why the prototype was made.

It makes sense that there would be many different marking conventions, given the number of different factories/manufacturers that have made Epiphone-branded guitars in the past. Thanks.

RTH--what do you make of the maple EF that is the subject of the thread?

Also, is there any registry of prototype or other unusual pre-production Epiphones that you know of? Are there any featured in your wiki?

Red 333

Just the reply I was hoping for. This kind of insight is why I love the forums. Somebody almost always has a pretty good idea how things work.

Thanks all.

Your welcome. I think I've been here for about ten years now, and have learned a lot from our fellow forumites.

Speaking of that, kudos to RTH for compiling and archiving model information in even greater detail than Epiphone itself.

Red 333

It makes sense that there would be many different marking conventions, given the number of different factories/manufacturers that have made Epiphone-branded guitars in the past. Thanks.

RTH--what do you make of the maple EF that is the subject of the thread?

Also, is there any registry of prototype or other unusual pre-production Epiphones that you know of? Are there any featured in your wiki?

Red 333

My thoughts are that its a pre-production model, but not necessarily a prototype...unless you consider that a classification of prototype.

There is no registry of Epiphone protos that I am aware of. I put some in the wiki if I can get enough info on them. There are some that havent made it to the wiki because I dont know enough about them. Something like this would probably just get a regular entry with maybe a "pre-production model" tag in the info.

Do you have a link to the thread?

It could still be a preproduction guitar if the serial is 03 and was bought NOS in 2005. There is no mention of the maple EF-500 in any Epiphone catalog.

The guitar in the pics is a EF-500RA, which is in the wiki. Even if the model number says ANS, it is still an RA. Variations to the model number could include RA, ANS or RANS.

R - rosewood

A- Abalone (this guitar only - on other guitars the "A" would indicate "ash". which is clearly not the case here)

NS - Natural Satin finish.

Alternatively, VS for Vintage Sunburst finish, so the VS model could read AVS or RAVS. Epiphone only had this listed in the general term of "RA" in the catalogs, so that was how I entered it in the wiki. I'll amend it to reflect the color options.

Thanks for the clarification and yes, you are absolutely correct

• 3 weeks later...

Archived