Gibson Brands Forums

What's a good scale to conquer for rock, after the blues scale?

Scott0

After many many months of starting off every practice with a 20min->1 hour session learning the blues scale, I feel good about it with all keys, up and down the fretboard.

I would like to incorporate another scale to help with my playing classic rock and southern rock, any suggestions?

Really though, I guess the go-to scales are the pentatonics, Major and minor. And then mix them into the blues scale. Slip in and out of one or the other.

Given that you've got the blues scale under your fingers that's pretty much the minor pentatonic with an added #4(or flat 5) the best way to expand the palette

would be to use the Major pentatonic.

Approach it like you're playing the blues scale but sprinkle in some Major 3rds and Major 6ths with it.

Prolly not the Major 7th unless you're using it as a passing tone for a chromatic effect like between the 4 and 5 of the blues scale.

Check out Day Tripper and Lady Madonna for use of mixed scales...or modes if you want to sound fancy.

I would say all 5 of the positions of the major scale up the neck as that automatically gives you, for example and starting on the key of F in first position the modes as well:

F (Ionian) (F major scale)

G (Dorian)(F scale but G as the root)

A (Phrygian) (F scale but A as the root)

Bb (Lydian) (F scale but Bb as the root)

C (Mixolydian) (F scale but C as the root)

D (Aeolian) (F scale but with D as the root)

E (Locian) (F scale but with E as the root)

All F scale but the change in the root and the interval structure of the scale produces an amazing change to the ear's perception.

Hey Scott

New here but I always joke "Mixophrygian" whenever asked that question-whatever the style or song.

Not a great first post but I couldn't resist.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

nice, welcome to the board, we should be a comedy team, I can set em up and you can knock em down! [woot]

Really though, I guess the go-to scales are the pentatonics, Major and minor. And then mix them into the blues scale. Slip in and out of one or the other.

Given that you've got the blues scale under your fingers that's pretty much the minor pentatonic with an added #4(or flat 5) the best way to expand the palette

would be to use the Major pentatonic.

Approach it like you're playing the blues scale but sprinkle in some Major 3rds and Major 6ths with it.

Prolly not the Major 7th unless you're using it as a passing tone for a chromatic effect like between the 4 and 5 of the blues scale.

Check out Day Tripper and Lady Madonna for use of mixed scales...or modes if you want to sound fancy.

I would say all 5 of the positions of the major scale up the neck as that automatically gives you, for example and starting on the key of F in first position the modes as well:

F (Ionian) (F major scale)

G (Dorian)(F scale but G as the root)

A (Phrygian) (F scale but A as the root)

Bb (Lydian) (F scale but Bb as the root)

C (Mixolydian) (F scale but C as the root)

D (Aeolian) (F scale but with D as the root)

E (Locian) (F scale but with E as the root)

All F scale but the change in the root and the interval structure of the scale produces an amazing change to the ear's perception.

Super, major scale it is then, thank you.

How do I learn about the scales? I have just been playing notes to the songs [scared]

I am taking lessons but we haven't started talking about "scales".

Jay

I would go with your instructor's schedule, perhaps inquire when scales will be introduced into your lessons.

Other than that, I picked up a kindle book that I found to be very helpful in grasping the scales but I use it only as a supplement to actually practicing the scale daily, which I've found really helps my overall playing.

here's a link to the book, I don't know if it's the best or not, I found it informative and helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scale-Book-Troy-Stetina/dp/0793597889/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399126394&sr=8-2&keywords=guitar+scales

Pretty much what's been said. Learn the major and minor pentatonics for the entire neck, then start adding in the rest of the major and minor notes, then when you look carefully at the relative modes you will see that they are really just other positions of the major or minor scales on the neck, it's the chords you play them over that really gives them their unique sound and tonal flavor.

Archived