Gibson Brands Forums

Humidity Gadgets

BluesKing777

I'd like to know too.

A couple of years ago I added a humidifier on my furnace which took care of the dryness.

Last year I started using the humidipaks in the cases but I like to keep my guitars out when possible.

Most of my guitars do not react much to the slight variances but a few do and a couple I had (both gone) over reacted.

Just the past weekend I noticed the house getting in the mid 50% range head for 60%. The AC does a decent job but it does not run in the early spring or late fall and that seems to be my worse time.

I just put a dehumidifier in my music room and it seems to be working. It's pulling a couple gallons of water out of the air everyday and seems to be keeping the humidity down around 50%

i would like to know also. I keep all my guitars in case is there a better humidifier for case. i currently use planet waves sponge system, are the humidpacks better. any info to keep instruments in pristine condition will help.

I keep an AcuRite hygrometer magnetically mounted on my fridge and it currently reads 21% humidity at 73 degrees Farenheit. Twenty-one to about twenty-six percent humidity is pretty much year 'round where I live. Inside the case of each of my guitars I keep two homemade, drilled top, plastic-soapdish-with-added-sponge humidifiers. Each guitar also has a Dampit soundhole type humidifier with two Dampit "tubes" attached. One of the tubes is the Super Guitar size and the other one is the longer, fatter Bass size. I replenish the sponges and the tubes with tap water once a week. These combos have worked for me for 12 years now. It's so dry here that some days if I play outside I can feel the fret ends begin to protrude as the wood of the neck shrinks back and the guitar will need frequent re-tuning. But I've been known to leave a guitar out of its case "in the dry" for up to three days either to admire or to be on a ToneRite and I've never had a crack. I've come to believe that guitars are a lot tougher than most people suspect and that, within reason, they can take being dry and then humidified and then dried again. But I've lived in the desert for forty years and I probably have a sense for humidity. I was once playing my guitar in West Texas and saw the humidity go to about 8% and I could feel the shift. That was as low as I've personally experienced. I also have a Gurian J-M that I keep at a friend's in North Carolina (I actually just gave him the guitar)for when I go to Merlefest and I can say that guitars generally sound way better when they live with higher humidity.

That's Extreme with an extra E, MP!

Maybe easier to just use a hose or watering can!

It seems like nobody is that sure what to use anymore after some bad press on some items - time for someone to invent something more reliable?

BluesKing777.

Would also like to know what people are doing. And what are you using to measure humidity?

Best way to measure humidity is by using a sling psychrometer. It'll give you an accurate reading of the humidity in your room. Then you can calibrate your room hygrometer and your guitar-case hygrometers before you put them back in the case.

Here's a sling psychrometer for sale on ebay: Sling Psychrometer.

It's a good brand (that usually sells for around $90). I bought mine used for about $20.

Amazon sells a cheap version for $13: Amazon Sling. It's something you only use once in awhile so you don't need to buy heavy duty.

Make sure you get an in-case hygrometer that can be calibrated so you can calibrate it as above. Hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

As to what to use for actually humidifying the guitars, the Humidipaks seem popular because they can add humidity to the guitar or remove it as needed. Haven't tried one yet, tho.

FMA

Archived