Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul DC Studio question - -

Johnny Seven

Spied this '97 LP Double Cut at GC today for $500. Although pretty beat up and obviously played a lot, she played and sounded pretty nice.. Almost pulled the trigger - they wouldn't budge on the price - so I decided to do a little more research on these before I pull the trigger (if I do..).

What's the general consensus on these guitars?

490 and 498T pups? How's that wraparound bridge hold up with intonation, tuning, etc.? Looks like they only made these models for 2-3 years..

Actually, I'm not even sure if this one is a Studio or a Standard..

Thanks for any info!

photo1_zps42b7ad48.jpg

I'm gonna guess that its a studio...here is my LPDC...I see a big difference. As for my opinion...I still prefer my LP to this guitar. I don't care for the pup switch selector placement, and only one set of controls. It took me over a year of fiddling with the action to get it down to where my fingers didn't hate me at the end of a gig. When I registered it with Gibson, they kept telling me the serial# came back to an SG. Puhleeeze...an SG??? No way this is an SG.

190796_200364709985185_2648380_o_zpsfe5cb455.jpg

I'm gonna guess that its a studio...here is my LPDC...I see a big difference. As for my opinion...I still prefer my LP to this guitar. I don't care for the pup switch selector placement, and only one set of controls. It took me over a year of fiddling with the action to get it down to where my fingers didn't hate me at the end of a gig. When I registered it with Gibson, they kept telling me the serial# came back to an SG. Puhleeeze...an SG??? No way this is an SG.

190796_200364709985185_2648380_o_zpsfe5cb455.jpg

Thanks for the reply, Kaiser ~ Yeah, I'm guessing it's a Studio as well - with no binding, blocks, etc. Even tho the hangtag (which I forgot to take a pic of) didn't say it was a Studio, I'm guessing it is, also..

I think I saw that model going for about $800 new in 2000-2004. You don't see many 24 fret Gibsons. How much fret wear did it have?

Fret wear was average - which surprised me because the guitar was pretty beat up. But it sounded and played great. Lots of nicks and gouges, though, on this one. But it was a player for sure.. I wasn't able to make it back in there today to play it more and decide - maybe tomorrow..

I just noticed the stop tail piece...was it intonated??? I noticed it is at a pretty "hefty" angle, but there is no bridge on that guitar...

Yeah, it had the wraparound tailpiece. Those are almost always at an angle like that.

Actually, I didn't get to play it very long yesterday - as I was in there for the tech to do some work on another guitar, and I needed to attend to that. But I hope to go back in maybe tomorrow and check it out further (if it's still there...)

Well I'd rather a single cut LP Studio but one of the reasons I bought this Santana was because it was a double cutaway, I could afford it at $754.00 for some reason the yellow ones were like twenty bucks more and I always wanted to try one out.I dig Santana's tone and have always liked the PRS bird inlays but as good as it sounds and looks for some reason I cant bond with it.Anyways are Gibson LP double cutaways hard to find? Usually if I see one for sale it always seems to be a studio and the standards seem to get some good money if available.I really should have bought a 2013 studio 60,s tribute with the dirty fingers pickups(before the must have mini tuner uglyness)like I wanted,Oh Well!

MVC-026S.jpg

Decided to pass on this one.

I've got a few similar guitars, and just couldn't justify getting it. Plus, it was pretty beat up, and smelled intensely of nicotine - not sure if I could ever get that smoke smell out of it..

I'll just let somebody else go for this one..

Archived