Gibson Brands Forums

G string Buzz

troysgguy

No, I don't have a bee in my under ware. I know that's bad, but I couldn't help my self. My Epi SG has a buzz in the G string mostly when fretted. The only way to get rid of it is to raise the action higher than factory specs. Any suggestions?

No, I don't have a bee in my under ware. I know that's bad, but I couldn't help my self. My Epi SG has a buzz in the G string mostly when fretted. The only way to get rid of it is to raise the action higher than factory specs. Any suggestions?

The trust rod might need adjusting. Most likely your neck is slightly twisted. The guitars neck. I couldn't resist that one msp_biggrin.gif. If you feel uncomfortable doing that - I know I would - take it in to a lathier. He/she will sort it out for you.

Cheers

Wayne

The trust rod might need adjusting. Most likely your neck is slightly twisted. The guitars neck. I couldn't resist that one msp_biggrin.gif. If you feel uncomfortable doing that - I know I would - take it in to a lathier. He/she will sort it out for you.

Cheers

Wayne

Could also be a badly cut nut (cut too low on the G) or a high fret. Worth doing a rocker check on the frets and checking the depth of the slot at the G.

I have changed the strings, tried different sizes and neck adjustments. I am going to bring it to a luthier.

Good idea. Unless you know what to properly do yourself, the luthier is the best option. I hope it goes well for you. Let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Wayne

I'm not sure where you live, but if you have large swings in temperature and/or humidity the wood in the guitar will expand and contract and can cause the neck to bow which will put the action and intonation out of wack. I usually find that this time of year when the humidity in the house goes from very low to very high in my case, my guitars are in need of a set up.

Had some problems with my Epi SG with fret buzz higher up on the neck and had a few frets that were lifting a bit. Tapped them back down, and they stayed down, and that helped, but I had to do some leveling too. I just got in a radiused sanding block from StewMac and a fret rocker I'm gonna take to it next time I change the strings and try to get it super flat / leveled.

So first things first is check for level frets and neck twist. If you have either of those issues nothing you do is gonna be optimal because you're fighting some pretty basic setup problems. For a twisted neck they usually put your guitar in a set of clamps counter-twisting the neck for a few days / a week etc. For unlevel frets that's a fret leveling and dressing.

Def have a good tech look at it.

Archived