Gibson Brands Forums

Byrdland 23.5" scale question

bobouz

If a capo were placed on a 24.75" scale guitar, at what point would the playability become similar to the feel of a 23.5" scale Byrdland? Two or three frets up maybe?

I have not played a Byrdland, and am quite curious about the shorter scale's impact on reaching notes on the fingerboard. To gain a perspective of this without having one in hand, it seems that capoing up on the board could give a similar effect, and I'm wondering where the ideal placement might be.

If a capo were placed on a 24.75" scale guitar, at what point would the playability become similar to the feel of a 23.5" scale Byrdland? Two or three frets up maybe?

I have not played a Byrdland, and am quite curious about the shorter scale's impact on reaching notes on the fingerboard. To gain a perspective of this without having one in hand, it seems that capoing up on the board could give a similar effect, and I'm wondering where the ideal placement might be.

I don't think a capo will be able to simulate it. It is a question of string tension as well as fret spacing. I've been gassing for a Byrdland myself. I do have a 1957 Fender MusicMaster that has a 22.5" scale. When I switch from a normal scale guitar to this one it takes a few minutes to get used to the fret spacing. The great thing is that you can do extreme bends like Albert King or SRV with ease.

I'd have thought a capo at the first fret would get you closest. If I were looking at a 23.5" scale guitar I'd probably notch up my string gauges a step to compensate for the drop in tension due to the shorter scale.

Like JO'C, I have more experience of the 22.5" Fender models, a pair of Duo Sonics in my case. I love them but the first one I had was always a pain to set up and intonate accurately without very heavy strings, which I didn't like the feel of. Eventually I switched to a very different tuning, somewhere between tenor guitar and Robert Fripp's New Standard, and loved it so much I bought a second. I quite like the idea of setting one up tuned a few steps higher than standard pitch as well. Great little guitars, definitely.

JO'C has it right

the fret spacing would not be stimulative of a short scale guitar. like a Brydland.

and there *IS* a difference, absolutely..

Thanks for the info & thoughts. Yes, I understand that simply capoing up will not accurately simulate the overall playability of a shorter scaled instrument, but right now all I want to do is find out how much my fingering reach might be impacted by the 23.5" scale. In measuring from the bridge, 23.5" would lop off about 3/4 of the first fret on a 24.75" scaled guitar, so probably capoing no more than the first or second fret would create a reasonable simulation - I think!

Archived