Gibson Brands Forums

Through saddles vrs. drop-in saddles…...

onewilyfool

I am just NOT a fan of through saddles…..I just adjusted the through saddle of my AJ because action was too high, and now the ends of the saddle are shorter than the wood of the bridge…I know, picky, but I just don't like it. Also, the through saddle limits your choices for pickups. I don't think there is any advantage sonically to the drop in saddle, probably only used for traditional reasons, but If I ever have to change a split bridge I will go with a bridge that has a drop-in saddle, historically correct or not…and THAT is my Saturday morning rant!!!

Funny you bring this up! I love the look of the through saddle on my L-1, but the ends of it are just ever so slightly longer than the slot in the bridge so the sharp corners stick out just a touch. It's one of those tiny little details I wish they just would've gotten perfect. I'd shave it down but I'm afraid of running into your exact problem.

It sure sounds good though :)

You sanded the bottom of thru-saddle - thats why its short. The long trhu saddles are best adjusted for height by a tech that knows what they're doing - from taking a bit off the TOP of that saddle. I'm not real particular one way or the other, but Ren F says the longer saddle engages more of the top, so that's good enough for me. I'm not a big user of USTs anyway, and that's a whole separate debate. Watch from 3:25 to 4:15

There is a trick I was taught by a tech I know for thru saddles, once you've filed or sanded the top of the saddle to correct height you can scrap the top of the saddle with the back of a box cutter blade ( it has 2 half round knotch's on the back) this is the correct diameter for the saddle top. I hope I explained it clear enough.

I like thru saddles. I don't know if it makes any difference in sound between a thru and a drop in type.

I like the look of them [ traditional ] and I like to make them. I've made thru saddle bridges on the last two guitars I've built.

I can see though how they aren't as friendly for an under saddle pickup like a stop end, drop in bridge is.

Archived