Gibson Brands Forums

string change

jpaskell

So, time to change the strings on my ES339. Some say only remove one or two at a time to keep tension on the neck normal. Some say for a short time no problem removing all strings.

I would like to remove all strings to clean and oil the neck. Also clean other areas not accessible with strings on the guitar.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

right or wrong I always take all mine off at a time just for the reason you stated. to clean and oil the fret board

to get to some of the hard to get places to clean with the strings on. I bought a very soft bristle 3 inch wide paint brush. it works good to clean dust and dirt from under the strings around the pick ups and tail pieces

right or wrong I always take all mine off at a time just for the reason you stated. to clean and oil the fret board

to get to some of the hard to get places to clean with the strings on. I bought a very soft bristle 3 inch wide paint brush. it works good to clean dust and dirt from under the strings around the pick ups and tail pieces

Go for it. You will do no harm for the short duration of a string change. As stated gives you ample time to make any adjustments, maintenance, etc. FWIW, how long do you think this thing will sit at your luthier's without a set of strings? I've been doing this a long time and have had no problems yet.

Thanks all for the input. Will now remove all strings and clean the instrument.

For rct the theory is that if you remove all the strings, this will upset the truss rod adjustment and you need to set up your guitar again. Some say this is so, some not. I don't think for a short time the strings are off that it will upset the adjustment. I would, however, check the truss adjustment after replacing the strings, stretching them and tuning the guitar.

Thanks again all.

Jim

My standard procedure on hardtail guitars is tuning them down, replacing them, and tuning them up pairwise in a symmetrical manner, i. e. E6th/E1st, B2nd/A5th, and D4th/G3rd. On vibrato'd, in particular Floyd Rose guitars, I change them one by one with all the locking nuts loose.

In case I want to have free access to all areas, I remove them all at a time, supporting Floyd Rose bridges using a thick, soft cloth, folded to create a sensible height.

Guitars might react differently to leaving the neck with an imbalance between truss rod and strings. Some neck/fretboard combinations are like springs and will show the correct relief within a few minutes after restringing. Others are more troublesome and may consume more time for returning to proper behaviour than they were off adjustment.

To my experience, mahogany/rosewood is very handsome while rosewood/baked maple, maple/rosewood, maple/maple, maple/baked maple and one-piece-maple are more critical.

Fretboards made of ebony or Richlite on whatever neck may drive you nuts, in particular through string buzz and steadily going out of tune. [mad] Leaving the guitar alone for days, perhaps tuning it slightly (very slightly - five to ten cents or so!) sharp and returning to correct pitch from day to day, may be of more help than starting to try an endless game of to and fro neck adjustments. [cursing]

Been there, done that, won't do it again, and prefer a very fast string pair by string pair change on these whenever anyhow possible.

Archived