Gibson Brands Forums

Car boot sale amp buy.... UPDATE.. ive played it properly now

Rabs

Sorry, Rabs, but I'm still no wiser.

Is it a direct input socket and, if so, does it require the use of subsequent 'sound-processing' folderol to be of any use?

I'm a simple kind'a guy.

P.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, Rabs, but I'm still no wiser.

Is it a direct input socket and, if so, does it require the use of subsequent 'sound-processing' folderol to be of any use?

I'm a simple kind'a guy.

P.

You got me..

Im assuming that it is a direct input from what BBP said....

I tried plugging a pedal in and some headphones and nothing happened... So it seems to bypass the master volume and give you a clean sound.. All of the hiss stops when I used that input and theres quite a bit of volume drop.. as for why you would want it im really not sure... Maybe plugging a second head into it??

So it seems to bypass the master volume and give you a clean sound.. All of the hiss stops when I used that input and theres quite a bit of volume drop.. as for why you would want it im really not sure... Maybe plugging a second head into it??

To use only the power amp. If you turn it up you should get a loud clean signal since it's bypassing the preamp section. Probably to use it in a slave/power amp arrangement. Those were big in the 80s :)

To use only the power amp. If you turn it up you should get a loud clean signal since it's bypassing the preamp section. Probably to use it in a slave/power amp arrangement. Those were big in the 80s :)

So what would the set up be for that arrangement?

I just know so little about all this :) Ive always had combo amps.

So what would the set up be for that arrangement?

I just know so little about all this :) Ive always had combo amps.

Either you woukd use a dedicated preamp and plug it into that third input, or take the Send of an Effects Loop on an amp and plug that into the input.

-Ryan

I think I explained it pretty well back on the first page.

Lol, yeah sorry man you did..

And I just re-read it.. and it still doesn't really make sense to me [crying]

Lol... its ok, im happy with my combos... :)

I may try and find a cheap cab to sell it on with. And you never know... When I hear what its actually meant to sound like I may actually like it (even though I REALLY don't need it).

• 2 weeks later...

Would this work with my car boot amp?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221519960423?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Marshall 1 x 12 extension cab JCM 900 series.

The original Celestion 150w driver was a bit harsh sounding so I installed the Harma Ruby 50w 8 ohm driver as shown. These sound more like the older G12M greenback Celestion units and the 50 watt rating is a little conservative like the V30.

Aside from the tail of the M missing from the logo it is in really good condition and sounds great.

Would this work with my car boot amp?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221519960423?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Marshall 1 x 12 extension cab JCM 900 series.

The original Celestion 150w driver was a bit harsh sounding so I installed the Harma Ruby 50w 8 ohm driver as shown. These sound more like the older G12M greenback Celestion units and the 50 watt rating is a little conservative like the V30.

Aside from the tail of the M missing from the logo it is in really good condition and sounds great.

It would work, considering I doubt you'll be cranking this thing. The speaker's rated at 50w and your amp puts out 65w at 8 ohms, but so long as you keep the volume at a reasonable level, you'll be fine.

-Ryan

It would work, considering I doubt you'll be cranking this thing. The speaker's rated at 50w and your amp puts out 65w at 8 ohms, but so long as you keep the volume at a reasonable level, you'll be fine.

-Ryan

Hmm.. ok, that's sort of what I thought... cheers :)

Might be worth it if I can get it cheap enough.. I take it that's a pretty good price?

Hmm.. ok, that's sort of what I thought... cheers :)

Might be worth it if I can get it cheap enough.. I take it that's a pretty good price?

Indeed it is, considering a brand new 1912 cab sells for ~$600 currently.

-Ryan

Guest Farnsbarns

I've only just looked and noticed the direction this thread took. The extra input seems to bypass the preamp, master and tone stack. As for what it's for... Looks like a non original mod to me so only the modder knows what he did it for, could speculate that it was for a keyboard or for slaving the amp but you can only guess.

I have just been playing this amp through the cab I bought.. and wow.. its actually pretty good...

Its a shame I cant turn the master volume up past 1 though :P (cos its just too loud) lol but for £20 I cant complain, its kinda cool..

I tested that third input and yes.. it seems to bypass everything else but the master volume and to get any decent volume with that input I had to turn it up to about 5.....

And the knob that it calls Presence is like a gain knob.. Id really like to try that at louder volume.. At 1 on the master I had to turn the Presence up too about 8 to get some crunch out of it and full up for a proper distortion sound...

But its good :)

Archived