Gibson Brands Forums

Want to buy Masterbilt EF-500M

meanstreak

If I'm being honest it doesn't sound as good as the Rosewood EF-500R. BBBUUUTTTT I've not had time to change the strings or do a proper setup yet. But at the moment it sounds much better when "fingerpicked" or playing riffs than it does when strummed. After I get it setup I'm planning on doing a YouTube video to compare the two of them as well as some others. Just been mad busy lately!

Mean... as we all know the appearance issue is completely secondary to the tone and playability. That streak is livable in my opinion and of course that means nothing compared to what your personal thoughts are to the appearance issue. After all in the end it's your impression that counts the most because it's your instrument.

I personally think it's just a great looking guitar the way it is.

Now your being very knowledgeable and even tempered to wait till you have had time to make all the proper adjustments necessary to improve the tone and playability issues.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the action and neck relief at this moment ? Do you think that maybe a lighter or heavier set of strings could change the strumming tonality concern ?

I post this because your impressions and knowledge of the EF models has me thinking I might just be interested in an EF model to compliment my DR model. I will look forward to the video you suggested you might post.

I truly respect your experience and knowledge of all the Masterbilt line.

Turns out it's a 2nd. I'm not a guitar snob or anything, I just wish they had made that clear in the ad, you know what I mean? There is the typical USED stamp on the back of the headstock and the serial number has been gold-taped over with a new number.

That absolutely should have been made clear in the ad or on the phonecall. That's not just used. It's refurbished. If you don't care and you like it, fine. I'd be sending it back for a full refund - or a replacement (not 2nd) free-shipped from any GC in the states that happens to get one. Seems like they should pay for your shipping too, due to the false or misleading ad.

Some ebay sellers offer nothing but refurbished guitars, like in this auction. Apparently guitars with some small problem are identified at the factory, and Epiphone decides it doesn't want to sell them with their lifetime warranty. So they're stamped "used" or "2nd" and sold at a reduced rate to a refurbisher, apparently in Nashville. Reportedly, the refurb shop checks them over pretty carefully ("triple inspection process") and fixes any problems other than slight blemishes. The ebay seller buys these from the refurb shop, and he checks them over again, often giving them a pro setup.

So in a sense, these guitars are probably more inspected and "ready to play" out of the box than a new, waranteed Epiphone. If some "minor cosmetic blemish" doesn't bother you, then you've got a great-playing new guitar, for less money that it would have been otherwise. The only problem is if you ever want to resell it. Clearly, refurbs typically go for less than non-refurbs.

If I'm being honest it doesn't sound as good as the Rosewood EF-500R. BBBUUUTTTT I've not had time to change the strings or do a proper setup yet. But at the moment it sounds much better when "fingerpicked" or playing riffs than it does when strummed. After I get it setup I'm planning on doing a YouTube video to compare the two of them as well as some others. Just been mad busy lately!

Is it 1-3/4" nut width?

Archived