Gibson Brands Forums

Finish crack question

btoth76

Nitro dries with a grain, known as stringing. It will often, if not usually, crack in straight lines.

See. That's why I come here. I used to know nothing about nitro cracks. Now I know something about them. [thumbup] Thanks

I've owned a couple of solid body Gibsons that have done this. One was a blue 2004 LP Studio, the other was a red 2007 SG Classic. In each case, it started with a few straight line cracks that continued to grow in number. As I recall, the cracks all emanated from holes drilled into the top. Both guitars are gone now, but I'm afraid the issue with yours might continue to manifest itself over time like it did on mine. My only guess at a causal factor would be an inferior batch of nitro (possibly more susceptible to environmental factors).

I forgot that you have a Nashville bridge. It kind of looks like maybe the insert part that gets hammered into the guitar isn't quite perpendicular to the top and maybe when they hammered it in, they whacked it too hard and the front of the collar on the insert smashed down on the top, causing the cracks to start to form at the front of the hole up toward the pickup, and then another crack formed backward from the back of the bridge hole to the stopbar hole. Does that make sense? That would be a manufacturing defect due to bad workmanship. Right?

Hello Badbluesplayer!

[biggrin]

Got it! ;) Thanks!

But no, I have no warranty claims. I just want to fix that guitar. I love it.

Cheers... Bence

I forgot that you have a Nashville bridge. It kind of looks like maybe the insert part that gets hammered into the guitar isn't quite perpendicular to the top and maybe when they hammered it in, they whacked it too hard and the front of the collar on the insert smashed down on the top, causing the cracks to start to form at the front of the hole up toward the pickup, and then another crack formed backward from the back of the bridge hole to the stopbar hole. Does that make sense? That would be a manufacturing defect due to bad workmanship. Right?

None of the Nashville TOM bushings on my Gibsons with a flat top is flush with the finish surface, so I assume this being normal. I agree that in case one would have whacked it too hard as you said, this could cause a damage of this kind. Given this you are right, it should be treated as a manufacturing defect indeed.

None of the Nashville TOM bushings on my Gibsons with a flat top is flush with the finish surface, so I assume this being normal. I agree that in case one would have whacked it too hard as you said, this could cause a damage of this kind. Given this you are right, it should be treated as a manufacturing defect indeed.

Hello!

But, would it only appear in 2014, on a guitar made in 2011?

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Cheers... Bence

In my opinion and to my general experiences with finishes this is possible. It never happened to a guitar of mine, but pals of that time had to deal with it many years ago.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hello!

Cheers... Bence

My 2011 r8 has a number of cracks. Admittedly it's a vos so the lacquer is a bit thinner, a bit harder and doesn't have the stringing I mentioned above buffed out but there it is. Nitro cracks sometimes and I think we have to live with it or buy Epiphones.

Archived