Gibson Brands Forums

Dot studio, love/hate!

Matt4356

Hi all, my first topic! I've had my beautiful dot studio cherry from new in 2011, I love the look and the feel of the neck and general playability but nothing I've tried can sort out the dam g string. I've upgraded to a gotoh tom for extra travel (and the wire on the epi original buzzed non stop) I've also had a tusq nut fitted with a full set up! Sounds good for a day or two after string change but it's all downhill from there! I put new d'addario exl 110 strings on 4 days ago, just picked it up for a play and sounds like rubbish! I checked tuning before playing and checked intonation after I heard it, both perfect! My sherry 2 with 3 month old strings sounds better! Any ideas? Anyone with similar problems? HELP please! I would hate to sell it, as I say If it played perfectly it would beat my sherry II and lp hands down!

My advice is always the same...don't sell it, but buy another Epiphone. Like one of the new, smaller (339-based) Epiphones. They look wonderful!

I think I've ordered a Union Jack sheraton, but to be honest it's taking that long to ship I'd nearly forgotten! Wonder if there's a shipping container captain looking at a map wondering where England is!

It's gotten that bad I've taken pics with a view to listing the thing but I so badly want it to be right!

Many players experience 3rd string issues...usually poor tuning stability...

From your post it appears a full set-up has been done... [thumbup]

Did you discuss the problem with your tech...ie did he do anything specific?

New strings often buzz more until a fret groove has worn in

Playing amped up onstage gives a new perspective on buzzes etc

Have you located the exact fret where buzz occurs?...

V

:-({|=

First, define "sounds like rubbish." I.E. Lifeless, sharp, flat, tinny, "dead," etc.???

Have you tried a light guage "wound" G string? Unwound G's are always problematic..IMHO.

One just accepts that, and lives with it, or try changing to a wound G. Might sort

out your problem, might not? But, it's worth a try, if you haven't already.

Good Luck! [thumbup]

CB

Sorry! Just read the post and realised in my rage I forgot to mention what the actual problem is ( I'm new to this forum lark)! The third string sounds really twangy, out of tune and overly loud both plugged in and acoustically. It's most noticeable when played open but a and d chords are really bad ! I'm questioning the nut groove height, it seems ok but I don't know!

First, define "sounds like rubbish." I.E. Lifeless, sharp, flat, tinny, "dead," etc.???

Have you tried a light guage "wound" G string? Unwound G's are always problematic..IMHO.

One just accepts that, and lives with it, or try changing to a wound G. Might sort

out your problem, might not? But, it's worth a try, if you haven't already.

Good Luck! [thumbup]

CB

I tried a wound g when I first had it before nut and bridge replacement, I didn't really get on with it and wasn't happy enough with the results to change long term!

I tried a wound g when I first had it before nut and bridge replacement, I didn't really get on with it and wasn't happy enough with the results to change long term!

Ok...Well, you still haven't defined "sounds like rubbish," to us. Is it

"buzzing," or sounds out of tune, at specific points up the fret board,

is it "tone" (tinny, dull/dead, etc.). Could be a truss rod adjustment

thing, or fret level/polish. New saddle in the bridge. Any number of

things could be a play, there. Does it "ping" or pull, when tuned?

That would indicate a nut (new or not) issue...maybe just a bit of filing

in the new nut, and some graphite, or "nut sauce" to lubricate it. ???

It's really hard, not knowing what you hear, to be able to offer anything

helpful. We'd LIKE to, but, it may be something that you and your luthier,

together, will have to sort out, in "real time."

CB

Ok...Well, you still haven't defined "sounds like rubbish," to us. Is it

"buzzing," or sounds out of tune, at specific points up the fret board,

is it "tone" (tinny, dull/dead, etc.). Could be a truss rod adjustment

thing, or fret level/polish. New saddle in the bridge. Any number of

things could be a play, there. Does it "ping" or pull, when tuned?

That would indicate a nut (new or not) issue...maybe just a bit of filing

in the new nut, and some graphite, or "nut sauce" to lubricate it. ???

It's really hard, not knowing what you hear, to be able to offer anything

helpful. We'd LIKE to, but, it may be something that you and your luthier,

together, will have to sort out, in "real time."

CB

Posted Today, 08:04 PM

Sorry! Just read the post and realised in my rage I forgot to mention what the actual problem is ( I'm new to this forum lark)! The third string sounds really twangy, out of tune and overly loud both plugged in and acoustically. I've checked tuning and intonation both perfect. It's most noticeable when played open but a and d chords are really bad ! I'm questioning the nut groove height, it seems ok but I don't know!

I think I may have to take it to a good tech, the local bloke is against epiphone 'crap' as he put it and seems dismissive unless you bought it off him! I've used someone farther away before, I may have to make the 4 hour round trip!

It's always hard to tell what could be wrong with a guitar without actually seeing or hearing it.

Do you play in standard tuning?

Have you checked the neck relief?

Play the g-string on every single fret, note by note: Is there a noticable difference on certain positions?

Try to tune the guitar a halfstep higher or fullstep lower. If that solves the problem a change of stringgauge might help.

Archived