Gibson Brands Forums

Older Small bodies.....

onewilyfool

The early 30s 12 fret L00 sized guitars have a 1 3/4 nut, the early 14 fret c1933 also have the 1 3/4 nut. The 12 fret guitars also have a very delicate rounded "modern" neck. The 14 fret guitars have a V shape.

I don't have any later period L00, but I believe they too had the 1 3/4 nut. A 30s L00 typically has a V shaped neck until the late 30s when some have a more rounded neck.

Terry

If anyone knows.....could you list the nut sizes of the older Gibson small bodies????' date=' L-00, LGO, B-25 etc??? Thanks....I am having a lot of trouble finding information on the nut sizes.....[/quote']

Wiley,

my '67 B-25 is 1 and 11/16 (that is the narrow nut). Wheras, my '57 more standard (1 3/4 ?). I love the neck on my LG-1--and the electric-type neck on B-25 is fun too.

All Gibson flattops (Hawaiians excluded) had 1 3/4 nut and 2 3/8 string spacing at the bridge until about 1941 (subject to the vagaries of hand carving). The 1 3/4 nut lasted until after WWII, but the string spacing dropped to 2 3/16 in about 1942. Around 1941, you'll find transitional guitars. In the J-35s and L-00s that I've measured (and, of course, X-rayed) from that time period, I've gotten about a50/50 on the string spacing.

Archived