Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul finishes, a positive take

SteveFord

Today I took a trip to pick up a loaner stereo amplifier and I also swung by the local Guitar Center to see what was new and exciting.

The one thing I came away with (other than some guitar picks) was just how stunning so many of the finishes are on the Les Paul models. Gibson takes a lot of crap about their finishes but what I saw was just jaw dropping on so many of them. Pictures are not doing them justice.

It's time to give credit where credit is due: they've got some real artists working for them and they're turning out some really beautiful guitars.

Today I took a trip to pick up a loaner stereo amplifier and I also swung by the local Guitar Center to see what was new and exciting.

The one thing I came away with (other than some guitar picks) was just how stunning so many of the finishes are on the Les Paul models. Gibson takes a lot of crap about their finishes but what I saw was just jaw dropping on so many of them. Pictures are not doing them justice.

It's time to give credit where credit is due: they've got some real artists working for them and they're turning out some really beautiful guitars.

I can second that opinion. There are lots of beautiful Les Pauls. Les Pauls are works of art, but most of all, they're great sounding and playing guitars.

Hence part of the price that we pay for these instruments. Their construction and finish require more skilled hand labor, and that translates into more cost.

Nitro cellulous and poly both have their pluses and minuses. Nitro requires more care, and I have no issue with that since I take care of all my toys to begin with.

Archived