Gibson Brands Forums

strings for older OJ reissue

markwillplay

As long as I have been playing this guitar, I have played both mediums and lights. I think the mediums have a little fatter tone and can't really tell that they choke the guitar, but seems like sustain is a bit better with lights. I know that the bridge is not a large bridge and I read somehwere that those smaller bridges liked lights. I have no idea what gibson would have shipped this guitar with. Anyway, I wondered what Gibson would recommend. this is an older OJ reissue, not the newer one. They are not exactly the same I don't think (string spacing is different and the older ones like mine don't have fretboard binding)..

So, if you own an OJ, what do you string it with?

Mark, I don't have a OJ but I have a 1339 Fuller's Reissue J-35. I just put on a set of Martin Retro lights monel strings on and I think this guitar never sounded better. I wish these strings came in a med-light gauge but it really sings with the lights. I find these strings sound a lot better than the Martin Tony Rice strings I medium gauge. I've been using the John Pearse PB in New Medium for a few years but the Retro's gave it a nicer tone.

I agree with the martin retro thing and I also agree about the gauge. The Tony Rice strings have more tension than the regular martin SP 80/20 mediums even though some of the strings are gauged down a bit. I used to use mediums always tuned down a half step but then I started playing more with band, etc...and I just did not like medium tension at standard tuning. I keep going back and forth but I think I am about sure that I will not play straight mediums at standard on this guitar. After I posted this I noticed that one note (not kidding) on this guitar was less "wolf" with light tension and not medium tension. So I answered my own question I guess. So tempting to play straight mediums though because of the added power with strong attack....but for what I do, I don't really need that. I am going to order a few sets of the Pearse pure nickel lights (54-12) and play them. I have been on a string journey and it has been interesting. One thing I like about the martin strings is that their light gauge has a 25 G string.

I agree with the martin retro thing and I also agree about the gauge. The Tony Rice strings have more tension than the regular martin SP 80/20 mediums even though some of the strings are gauged down a bit. I used to use mediums always tuned down a half step but then I started playing more with band, etc...and I just did not like medium tension at standard tuning. I keep going back and forth but I think I am about sure that I will not play straight mediums at standard on this guitar. After I posted this I noticed that one note (not kidding) on this guitar was less "wolf" with light tension and not medium tension. So I answered my own question I guess. So tempting to play straight mediums though because of the added power with strong attack....but for what I do, I don't really need that. I am going to order a few sets of the Pearse pure nickel lights (54-12) and play them. I have been on a string journey and it has been interesting. One thing I like about the martin strings is that their light gauge has a 25 G string.

Mark....Good to know about the Retro strings please please please keep us posted about The John Pearse pure nickel lights (54-12) because I'm in a Elixir loop and like to try a different sound that I like

I am currently using the elixir 80/20's myself (lights). They are not the best sounding to me but I like them after they have been on a while and they keep me from changing strings.

If you are into phosphor bronze strings, I have to say that the dunlop phoshpor bronze strings are my favs of all ( D'addario, Pearse, Marin, etc...) Those mediums I could play actually (less tension) and that is what got me thinking about mediums in standard tuning...those strings are indeed less tension. Bob Minner plays them (Tim McGraw band) and he loves them. They do seem to last FAR better than D'addario Phosph to my fingers...no question.

I wish that the gore tech would be used on other strings myself but I guess that patent has not expired.

I am currently using the elixir 80/20's myself (lights). They are not the best sounding to me but I like them after they have been on a while and they keep me from changing strings.

If you are into phosphor bronze strings, I have to say that the dunlop phoshpor bronze strings are my favs of all ( D'addario, Pearse, Marin, etc...) Those mediums I could play actually (less tension) and that is what got me thinking about mediums in standard tuning...those strings are indeed less tension. Bob Minner plays them (Tim McGraw band) and he loves them. They do seem to last FAR better than D'addario Phosph to my fingers...no question.

I wish that the gore tech would be used on other strings myself but I guess that patent has not expired.

Same here Mark, I like the "80/20 Elixir's Lights" the best...I'll have to try the dunlop phoshpor bronze strings but I haven't found a PB string in the last 10-15 years that I was happy with, Any GHS string lasts about an hour before they go bad for me so in my opinion don't wast your money on them

I use to use Adamas Nicole Silver light guitar strings BUT they don't make them any longer <_<

Archived