Gibson Brands Forums

NGD that took FOREVER

NHTom

Ok, got some quality time with the new girl.......and as Lonesome George would say "she was so nice.....she was lovey dovey"

[love]

First off, I LOVE the Gloss/Grain on this thing......works so well with the cherry.

101_0442_zps8796d026.jpg

101_0440_zps6d40bafd.jpg

Plays great.......LOVE the neck on this......still needs a proper setup, but every chance I've had, I've been playing it rather than working on it.

Got to mess around with the tones on it. The pickups are nice......the 498r in the neck....sounds good. The mysterious HB3 sounds pretty good too.....reminds me of the 57classic in my studio, but with a bit more snap to it.

The coil splits are ok....it doesn't make it a strat....lol. I tend to play classic hard rock/punk/metal stuff....think joan jett and johnny thunders had a child with no talent......that's me.....I don't do much clean playing. This does the single coil thing well enough that I've played it a lot with the amp cleaned up on single coil. No strat, but fun just the same.

The really nice setting I found was to split the bridge pickup and set the toggle on both pickups leaving the neck as a humbucker. Really great sound with light gain. Gave a great "clean-crunch" sort of tone.

With any luck I'll have time tomorrow to swap strings and do a full setup on it.

NHTom

If you have a file set suitable for the nut perhaps give them a quick swipe. My Special was eating the high E string and it would break right up by the tuner so I'm hoping that cured it.

If you don't have a set of those files, here's a link for a cheap set which works well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ACOXSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Steve, I have a set........going to go right through it.....clean up the nut, check bridge, intonation, etc.

probably pull the pickups out while I have the strings off just for a quick look around, etc.

The typical "welcome home" treatment.......lol.

NHTom

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!

Much better now. Intonation was close, nut was simple clean up.

Interesting that the HB3 in the bridge has a paper tag with "wound by", a date, and "HB3" on it. It also has a black/gold "patent applied for" sticker on it.

The neck pickup just has the "GIBSON USA" logo stamped in the plate with no other markings.

A little Dunlop lemon on the board, a good polish (LOVE that gloss) and tiny action tweak and she's good to go.

NHTom

Archived