Gibson Brands Forums

New edge finishing detail on my latest

Rabs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Excellent. But I can't believe you did so much without us. [cursing]

Joking aside, I really enjoy your build updates. I get excited when I see one appear in the lounge. I may not reply to every one but I always think I can't just post "nice" all the time. I'm sure you have better things to do but to me, more insanely minute detail = better.

Excellent. But I can't believe you did so much without us. [cursing]

Joking aside, I really enjoy your build updates. I get excited when I see one appear in the lounge. I may not reply to every one but I always think I can't just post "nice" all the time. I'm sure you have better things to do but to me, more insanely minute detail = better.

And yes I get that... As in how many times can one say "nice one" or "looking good" :) So I don't expect replies all the time but its nice to know people are still watching and interested..

And pretty soon you will get to try one in real life :D (will IM you soon with more on that)

Oh yes...

I almost forgot... As a side note..

Today when I finished the Utile build I was totally shocked when I strung it up... It was totally intonated without me doing any adjustments :D which is really cool, it means I got the angle and position of the bridge 100% spot on... And the fret levelling and crowning was all good as there were no dead spots.... So I do learn, eventually ;)

Hello all....

Today I finished the wiring for the Maple Hammer build...

And yet again I made a boo boo... I got the new switch and wired it all up... And each position on the switch game me the middle position (both pups).. I was like Huuuuuhhh!!!

Dumbfounded by it all I unsoldered it all again.. To find that what I had done was got some solder one of the contacts duhhhhhhhh! so the switch wasn't moving on the inside and this was actually stuck in the middle position...

You may just be able to see it... its the second one from the bottom.. Some solder creeped down....

DSC_0753_zps4a1d6c5f.jpg

Lol so I went back to the first switch and completely unsoldered it and started from scratch (this makes me feel so silly sometimes)... Now the mistake here was that I had bought the whole control unit pre wired... And I think they had just done it wrong.... Because I followed the diagram, plugged it in and hey presto it all worked perfectly WOoooooooo :D

So that's three RabsWood guitars I now have that even though I wont say are quite perfect, they all work as they should and they are all intonateable and fully playable.

DSC_0755_zps2c6e00c3.jpg

DSC_0756_zps69031eb2.jpg

Well actually I just have to fit the nut and do the final set up tomorrow, but apart from that its all done.

But now I have three I am going to start concentrating on showing them to some pro's, maybe some guitar shops and hopefully some of you guys (you know who you are ;))

Then things should start getting really interesting (if not slightly scary)..

While I am doing that I still have two more sets of pickups to use so I will still be working on some more.. What I want to do next is a successful Yin/Jang design and an Arrow model with binding... So they should be pretty interesting builds (well for me anyway ;))

Well that's all for today and as ever, thanks for watching and more updates soon [thumbup]

Archived