Gibson Brands Forums

New edge finishing detail on my latest

Rabs

And the maple build is coming along nicely... Always looks messy at this stage but I will make it good :)

DSC_0480_zps4a980186.jpg

DSC_0481_zpsb1c50c4a.jpg

Nice...

More tomorrow.. and as always.. Thanks for watching

(and thanks Gibson for hosting and allowing me to post here, it is appreciated [thumbup] )

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again...

So today I was at that Maple build while putting oil on the Utile one....

And the maple one is really getting there now...

I had a slight issue with the neck where it wasn't quite thick enough to give me a proper neck heel so I stuck a bit of maple on the top and I think it came out ok :)

DSC_0506_zpsb798fde1.jpg

DSC_0507_zps6cd03b3a.jpg

DSC_0508_zps981f1e31.jpg

So as I think I mentioned once before... This is going to get Tele style hardware and may even be the first of my guitars to get a pickguard :)

DSC_0512_zps9ac2516b.jpg

The control plate is already set up (bought it like that)... So I just need a few holes and its ready for finishing :)

DSC_0515_zps0d7e67f3.jpg

But check the cool grain on this body... that should finish real nice

DSC_0517_zpsc4b54db2.jpg

DSC_0518_zpsdc9d5f85.jpg

And heres how that Utile one is looking [thumbup]

DSC_0521_zpsfa7479f9.jpg

DSC_0525_zpsf4fdea29.jpg

More soon :)

How many guitars did you make now Rabs? Are you selling them?

Hmm... 5 if you include my first failure (where the neck angle was totally out)...

And of those only 2 are really properly playable and intonateable etc.. The others are close... REAL close but not what I want to put my name on and then sell (mostly due to fretboard and set up issues). However, these were my learning guitars.. I am the kind of person who has to learn by physically doing things.. I think ive got it all down now and am re-using the hardware and pups on those first few so none of that will go to waste or anything.

After these next two are finished I am going to then start a web site and all the other things I have planned :)

So im almost there... almost...

Hmm... 5 if you include my first failure (where the neck angle was totally out)...

And of those only 2 are really properly playable and intonateable etc.. The others are close... REAL close but not what I want to put my name on and then sell (mostly due to fretboard and set up issues). However, these were my learning guitars.. I am the kind of person who has to learn by physically doing things.. I think ive got it all down now and am re-using the hardware and pups on those first few so none of that will go to waste or anything.

After these next two are finished I am going to then start a web site and all the other things I have planned :)

So im almost there... almost...

I'll never build a guitar, but if I did, what kind of fretboard issues? Lifting up off the neck? And set up issues. Bridge math not exact enough to make an intonatable guitar? Not lined up with the edges of the neck, that sort of thing?

rct

I'll never build a guitar, but if I did, what kind of fretboard issues? Lifting up off the neck? And set up issues. Bridge math not exact enough to make an intonatable guitar? Not lined up with the edges of the neck, that sort of thing?

rct

Mostly the issues are non level fretboards that I guess I should just have paid more attention too.... I bought a notched straight edge a short while back which has allowed me to check that much more accurately than I was able too before... With those issues getting the frets all level is really hard (but doable) and then when or if the neck bows or someone makes a trussrod adjustment then it will all go out of whack so thus not really a fully functioning guitar.

And yes.. I got a few of the bridge positions wrong which I can fix and indeed if I took all of the frets out of the ones with issues and re-levelled the boards, and re-do the nuts I could probably fix them.. (which may be a good learning project down the line)..

BUT with my new edge detail for my Hammer model and another idea I have planned for my Arrow model I decided to just accept these as my learning tools and move forward and concentrate my efforts on these new designs that I want to become my "standard" models.

They are all playable but theres just small things here and there that I don't like so don't want to sell them like that...

Mostly the issues are non level fretboards that I guess I should just have paid more attention too.... I bought a notched straight edge a short while back which has allowed me to check that much more accurately than I was able too before... With those issues getting the frets all level is really hard (but doable) and then when or if the neck bows or someone makes a trussrod adjustment then it will all go out of whack so thus not really a fully functioning guitar.

And yes.. I got a few of the bridge positions wrong which I can fix and indeed if I took all of the frets out of the ones with issues and re-levelled the boards, and re-do the nuts I could probably fix them.. (which may be a good learning project down the line)..

BUT with my new edge detail for my Hammer model and another idea I have planned for my Arrow model I decided to just accept these as my learning tools and move forward and concentrate my efforts on these new designs that I want to become my "standard" models.

They are all playable but theres just small things here and there that I don't like so don't want to sell them like that...

You rock. Seriously.

rct

You rock. Seriously.

rct

:)

Thank you sir .... I know its easy to write (or say) but I really do appreciate all the words of kindness and support, it means a lot and helps keep me going... [thumbup]

And I am very serious about all of this.. I want to be able to stand by my work and be proud of it... so it has to be good.... :)

And heres todays update....

Most of the holes are drilled now... I wanted to sink the control plate in to the top so it was flush with the body BUT I seriously think if I drill 1 more millimetre I would be too close to going through the back... so I decided to leave well enough alone...

So heres where im at now (this one really is a cross between a tele and a double cut LP)

DSC_0541_zps87f1a12f.jpg

DSC_0543_zps40b08738.jpg

And this is the rough idea ive had for a pickguard shape

DSC_0545_zps0e9a53ab.jpg

So... almost there on this build.. I think the next thing im going to do is that Yin and Yang guitar.. Now that should be REAL interesting [thumbup]

More tomorrow.

Are you going to put G Force or min e tune on any of them? [lol] That's where the big bucks come from [thumbup][flapper].....Just pulling your chain a little Rabs, [biggrin] it seems like a couple of days ago when you started with the door and now I truly can't wait for the web site and the sales to start [thumbup] you've made huge strides in becoming a luthier. I really like the looks you 're coming up with [thumbup]

TC

Are you going to put G Force or min e tune on any of them? [lol] That's where the big bucks come from [thumbup][flapper].....Just pulling your chain a little Rabs, [biggrin] it seems like a couple of days ago when you started with the door and now I truly can't wait for the web site and the sales to start [thumbup] you've made huge strides in becoming a luthier. I really like the looks you 're coming up with [thumbup]

TC

Auto tune......Ha!!! NEVER!!!!!!! :)

And thanks man, yes its amazing how fast time goes, if you can believe its been almost two years since my first post on the door... Even though id say ive only been doing it full time for about a year and wow what a journey its been...

I still don't really see myself as a luthier even after all of this but I guess I wont until I actually start selling them (if I ever get to that point :)) and see people out in the world with them.. That will be a bit weird I guess :)

Im just trying to take it day by day at the moment.

Hello...

Just a quick couple of pics on the finishing of these two .... My next one is already ready for finishing (the yin/yang one (I need a better name for that) so I actually have a production line... ok its only 3 guitars rather than say Gibsons hundreds a day.. but im just me in a garage :)

Whats interesting is how different woods take the oil... That Utile one has probably had about 8 coats now and is almost there.. but the Maple one has only had two and looks almost a shiny as the Utile one so probably wont need much more maybe two or three more.

DSC_0604_zps7929c8fd.jpg

DSC_0607_zps13673bc0.jpg

DSC_0605_zpsc3fbbbaa.jpg

DSC_0606_zps51c6469b.jpg

So these should be finished this week some time.. I don't have like a minimum or maximum amount of finish I put on, I just kind of keep going until im happy :) so its not a set process .... yet :)

Man, I miss the plus button [thumbdn] to echo ZigZag, they are freaking beautiful [thumbup] Now all we need is to get Farns amp done and get you two together to change the face of electronic music as the world knows it...........bwahahahaha,..........sorry, got carried away. [flapper] You guys just need to come up with a name for the new empire. [biggrin]

Tc

Man, I miss the plus button [thumbdn] to echo ZigZag, they are freaking beautiful [thumbup] Now all we need is to get Farns amp done and get you two together to change the face of electronic music as the world knows it...........bwahahahaha,..........sorry, got carried away. [flapper] You guys just need to come up with a name for the new empire. [biggrin]

Tc

Thank you sir...

Lol.. and well who knows.. stranger things have happened :)

And yes when I have these next few guitars finished im hoping to meet with a few of the guys off here for a jam so maybe you will get to see that in the near future... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So the finish is done... The hardware started to go on to both of these guitars today.. Im missing a few screws (annoyingly) so I will order them tonight.

Heres how they look at the moment

DSC_0685_zps952e8c84.jpg

DSC_0687_zps062a2a1a.jpg

DSC_0691_zps3ddbec69.jpg

So these WILL be done within the next couple of days now :)

More soon [thumbup]

Just a quicky today as I didn't get too much time to work today..

BUT, I made the scratch plate for the maple build... and NOW its looking like how I imagined it...

I have to say doing stuff like this takes me ages.. I have no templates for such things and have to literally start off with a square bit of plastic and go from there...

Anyway.. im pretty happy with how it turned out... The only issue is that the side of the scratch plate that's nearest the bottom horn is sticking over by like a mm. But next I have to sand the sides at an angle anyway so you can see the multi ply...

See what you reckon :)

DSC_0694_zps929c9227.jpg

DSC_0695_zps32b9336b.jpg

DSC_0696_zps7c3f77e8.jpg

More tomorrow [thumbup]

Nice one Rabs - nearly there! [thumbup]

With everything in place how much does she weigh (out of interest)?

Good question.. I will check tomorrow if I can...

And well when I pick her up I don't think OMG that's a heavy bi**h ;) Just feels normal to me so id imagine about 9/10 lbs.. It is solid maple so will be on the heavier side of the scale. But then some of my bodies are only about 1"thick (these are more like 1.5") and those thinner ones will be my bad back or big girls blouse models :P :)

(joke ;))

• 1 month later...

Hello all.....

Been a short while since I posted anything on my builds.. No specific reasons, just been a bit slow recently and had other stuff to deal with.. You know how life goes... But im still at it, you can be sure of that :)

But its all good... The Utile build is finished.. And the maple one (which I re-finished due to silliness) is almost there, im just having some wiring issues.. I now think that the switch is broken so I have ordered a new one and will get that done as soon as it arrives...

So I had my LP GT with me today so I could use it for some references on the set up (just the nut mainly) and thought it would be cool to put it side by side with my guitars to see the differences... I haven't weighed them yet as the scales at my parents house doesn't register anything under like a stone or something.. But holding it side by side with my GT (which is about 8 lbs) it felt very similar..

DSC_0729_zpse07cb332.jpg

DSC_0731_zps15702f9d.jpg

DSC_0732_zps07b5388a.jpg

DSC_0735_zps8c19f044.jpg

DSC_0739_zps33b9768c.jpg

So there we are... Just a quick update really.. im hoping that switch will arrive tomorrow so I can finish that maple one... Then I may do a video over the weekend..

Well as ever, thanks for watching to all those who still are..

More soon [thumbup]

Archived