Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Jimi Mac

Thanks guys!!!

It really is special, even if my playing isn't...

Man is it a little rough right now... I've had very little time to practice since purchasing and receiving this axe... (at least a few weeks now)

I'm going to be jamming with my drummer and another guitar player later this week, so I'm hoping to get right back up on the horse and put some time in with it in short order!

I'm bound & determined to get a gig in before the year goes by without a single one under my belt in 2014...

I like going back on CV Guitars/Corsa Guitars site and seeing the little "sold" tag in place of the buy now button on DCL-001 [thumbup][biggrin]

Does anything really jump out at you compared to your Les Pauls?

Yes!

The weight for one. It is noticeably lighter... Making for more comfortable long term slinging.

2nd the tone is easier to dial in across the board with those Manalishi pickups of Larry's.

The Burstbucker 1&2 on my 2004 LP Standard LE are a bit louder and drive easier and are a lot tougher to tweak into that sweet spot that I covet as a Blues guy...

While I get an awesome Gibson honk out of the mini-buckers on my Y2K LP Deluxe LE, they don't have that fat tone like a good AlNiCo-2 full size Humbucker that I covet. "Manalishi" has it in spades!

Also for whatever reason, Larry likes his action a little higher than I generally prefer and normally that would put me off and make it a little outside of my comfort-zone, but I haven't even restrung it since I got it and I've left he action right where he played it (as it was his actual axe he made for himself as a prototype) and I've found myself far more able to simply fall into a comfort with it that I would ever have expected. He likes 10's, I generally prefer 9's, but have found the 10's on his action very comfortable for whatever reason...

The neck is nicer than my Vintage (brand) V100 LP copies. Both in feel and quality. (as much as I really do like my V100's) I'm likely to adjust the action up on my GoldTop to match this as it might clear up the fret-wear buzz I'm starting to get on that one...

The top really looks 3-d to me looking down at "Manalishi" and not even the AA flame on "Blue" looks that way to me...

On another note; I chose this guitar partly because it's a double cut and I was hoping to get a different sling/hang out of it as my Les Pauls tend to hang/sling back to my right a bit and I have a very slight issue accessing the upper frets on the neck. I was hoping this might be more like an SG in that regard and my gamble paid-off, it hangs with more symmetry on me and makes a more natural place to play higher up (closer to body) on the neck. But that would be an ergonomics thing and have less to do with detail feel differences and more to do with its center of gravity...

Thanks for asking man!

I would/will/do recommend CV/Corsa guitars by Larry Corsa to anyone wanting a masterbuilt quality Les Paul at a substantially lower price than a Gibson LP Standard. His Custom pieces are also substantially less than a Custom shop or even Custom from the USA range and are right up there in artisan quality. I think the neck is as perfect as any I've ever seen and while I think I still prefer Ebony for a fretboard, this one makes it a negligible difference that allowed me to forego that without loss...

Larry Corsa guitars should have every option (including a lack of the Peter Green out-of-phase mod for those that aren't interested in that) and you can even pick and choose all options from start to finish in production...

I can't say enough about Corsa guitars...

It doesn't mean I don't still want a CC#8 or an R6 just as badly anyway, but you can't go wrong with a Corsa LP style guitar!

Archived