Gibson Brands Forums

Experience with a LP and a Blackstar HT-5 Amp

Cicero146

Hi I am looking for some reviews of you on the Blackstar HT-5 amp together with the Gibson LP. Thanks for your help.

I've been playing my Signature T and my Explorer and my bass also through the HT-5R for about 18 months now and I love it.

When on the clean channel volume at 3 or 4 it's very nice. When I bury the volume it has a nice over drive.

I can't play at that volume though. It won't go over well with my wife and kids.

On the distorted channel it shines. Even at very low volume which I practice with there is plenty of dirt.

I give it a [thumbup].

I had an HT-5 (non reverb) and sold it. Not because it wasn't a good amp but I got a better one (my Mesa).

Yes, any LP will play well through an HT-5 and including sending distortion straight into the front instead of via the effects loop. I use a Biyang X pedal (three switchable voices) as my preference to the dirty channel of the amp but of course that is available too.

I have several amps...do not have the HT-5, but use the Blackstar ht club 40 1x12 for rehearsal and recording. My LP sounds great through this very versatile amp. The speaker emulated line out works very well for recording. Great OD tones as well as clean. My old Ibanez TS-9 sounds particularly good up front.

They work great together. I got an HT-5 for a practice amp and it's plenty loud enough to play with a full band/drummer in a small room. They do break up really fast (distort) and I like to play a little cleaner than that, so I did replace the one and only tube with one that doesn't break up as quickly, but overall they work great. The emulated sound through the headphone jack is really nice and can be used for recording, so a versatile amp for not a lot of money, and it easy to transport. [thumbup]

I used to have the HT5-R combo and loved it, then I sold it to free up some cash and regretted doing so for ages until I purchased the HT5-R head and cab about 18 months later!!

It can do lovely cleans and has a powerful gain channel. I only run the gain at about 10 o clock on mine and that's heavy enough for my tastes. I think most people think of Blackstar amps as having better gain channels than clean channels but I find the cleans very nice, especially if you roll off some volume from the guitar.

The fact that the HT5 has an aux in and a headphone out is great for me for my practice when the children are sleeping as I can put the headphones on and still enjoy feeling the power from the sound. It has an effects loop also and a good reverb built in. If I'm being picky, I think the ISF feature is a bit of a gimmick. It's meant to allow you to colour the sound from a UK 60's based sound to more of an American brighter sound and all points in between.

I play strats and my Les Paul through it and they all sound great - despite the player!!

Hope that helps......

Archived