Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Standard or AJ for finger style?

SycamoreDan

Uh, no, actually. He

for some of the songs on that session. (beat to the punch). 'Course now, he's not using any Gibson flattops. Just M-series Martins. And a Les Paul when he plugs in. Anyway, here's a link to
[/url].

As far as I'm concerned, Jorma is a musical treasure. I note that he is using metal fingerpicks and a plastic thumbpick on the AJ. No matter how good your nails or calluses are, nothing will cut through like those picks when you are fingerpicking.

I am torn a bit now between the "purity" of bare fingers against the cutting clarity of picks. I know some people can achieve that clarity with bare fingers, but I'm not one of them.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.....

Jack Casady always looked like an alien to me.

I've thought Jorma was a genius ever since Surrealistic Pillow. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to Embryonic Journey, with that wonderful segue into White Rabbit.

Point is, if you have what Rev. Davis once called a sporting right hand it does not matter much what you are playing./quote]

Kinda, Z. But if you are going for the Revs tone, that means picks, and if you are using picks, then you are probably better off with a Jumbo, Dread or Slope --something can stand up to the attack.

So very much depends on technique and one's physical approach to an instrument.

Fellah name of Kottke went from heavy thumbpick and fingerpicks to... thumbpick and fingers... Still sounds pretty decent to me but then... I also noticed mostly it was with some sort of "electric" stuff on the guitar.

The thing with fingerpicks is that what you gain in volume, you tend to lose in dynamics, both volume and tone. I quit using 'em decades ago for that reason and ... the AE made it unnecessary to use 'em to cut through in a saloon or stage environment.

A lot of "us" used 'em in the '60s and even '70s 'cuz of anti-electric emotions and/or feedback concerns. Then sorta decent AEs came along and made life a lot easier.

I'm still convinced that one plays best on an instrument that best fits his personal geometry toward playing. I know that I have to change some of my chording, especially for fingerpicking, on the first three or four frets on some guitars and that includes all my 25 1/2 scale dreads and 16-inch lower bout archtop with that scale. I'm giving away all but one big-body and ... I'll try to sell the archtop that otherwise plays like a champ - with a capo at the first or second fret.

m

Kinda, Z. But if you are going for the Revs tone, that means picks, and if you are using picks, then you are probably better off with a Jumbo, Dread or Slope --something can stand up to the attack.

Makes me think of a young Bill Broonzy when he met Blind Blake in Chicago. I know some claim Blake had to have been using a thumbpick but Broonzy recalled how amazed he was that Blake could make a guitar sound like every instrument in the band playing only with his "natural fingers."

But point is well taken. I have shied away from guitars like a Martin 000-18 because of their tendency to shimmer out when played aggressively.

I've thought Jorma was a genius ever since Surrealistic Pillow. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to Embryonic Journey, with that wonderful segue into White Rabbit.
Uhm-hm. That and Ry's cover of Great Dream From Heaven were probably the first two stricly acoustic numbers that reached out and grabbed me (never thought in the day Id learn them to play). Btw, do you know of
, Nick? He's his own man but defintely took a pull from Jorma.

Archived