Gibson Brands Forums

What's the deal with les paul weight?

houndman55

I'm with you on this MB. ...and no insult nor offense to you intended, norton.

and no insult or offense taken, good sir!

and if I had not had two spine surgeries and in constant back and leg pain I probably would not be truly needing a lighter weight Les Paul

it is amazing that only three pounds in a guitar can make such a difference

this is a great guitar forum, I am sure I would like all you guys if we ever met

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last week Thursday I bought a 2014 Les Paul Traditional Pro2 from my Guitar Center.

I took it back for full refund on Saturday because......it was a beast....weighed in around 10 and half pounds, really felt it just lifting it up and resting it on my leg to play it.

I walked out the GC two hours later with a 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus in beautiful Cherry Burst, weighs only 7.3 pounds, big difference.

It is amazing that only three pounds in a guitar can make such a difference...

I'm delighted to see that you ended up with a Les Paul which allows you to enjoy making music in a more pleasurable fashion, norton.

There's no hard-and-fast evidence that a lighter guitar has either more or less ability to sound fantastic than a heavyweight.

Different; yes. But fantastic all the same.

Many folks here who own the lighter variants have noticed a shift towards swifter response but with, perhaps, a trade-off in terms of ultimate sustain.

Also as has been said many times in many places; the majority of '58-'60 'Bursts weighed in at quite a bit under the 9 lb mark.

It all comes down to individual playing styles and personal preferences.

FWIW I happen to prefer a livelier guitar at the cost of sustain simply because it suits me better.

May you enjoy your LPS-P for many years to come.

P.

Archived