Gibson Brands Forums

My MIC knob is coming lose...

daveinspain

Have never had a problem with my original limited edition first run Robot guitar and it's still working fine except for the MIC knob feels lose. You have to pull it up to activate the tuning mechanism i'm afraid it going to come right off soon. Then what? I was looking to see if there's a set screw to tighten up or something but doesn't seem to be the case.

Any ideas??? Any Gibson Service people around here?

Hi Dave.

I too had been very pleased with my Robot LP until a few months ago. The MCK fell off in my hand in several pieces. I figured out how to put it back together but it kept coming off ever since. I brought it to a authorized Gibson repair depot and was told it couldn't be fixed.

My options were to try and find a replacement on E-Bay or if I wanted to keep the optional tuning, replace what I have with the Tronical Min E tune for $320 Canadian. It installs completely on the headstock.

I've lost confidence in the auto tune systems. What happens if you happen to be on stage when the darn thing decides to fall apart?

I ordered a set of Grover locking tuners to replace the current system last week. I should have them soon.

The guitar will continue to be a great playing, great sounding Les Paul. A bummer that I've lost the ability to alternate tune on the fly. Not that I did it much but it was nice that I could if I wanted to.

Also, the newer technology doesn't require you to disengage the tuner if you want to manually tune (I believe).

Good luck Dave. I'll be following this thread just in case someone finds a fix before I replace mine.

Dave

Go through Tronical. . I'm not sure, but I think here's the part (MCK Gen I) you're looking for - http://store.tronical-components.com/new-category/

My 2008 Gen I SG LTD is working great. . B)

Just checked out your link and yes that is the part but 74.50 ain't cheep… Wonder how often they will have to be replaced... :-k

Archived