Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone are at it now too and on the acoustics

Rabs

If this truly becomes the wave of the future, it could be a boon for makers of traditional replacement tuners for those who do not like the electronic versions or for when the microprocessors crap out. Someone sitting on a bunch of vintage keystone tuners in 10 years could be a rich man. [biggrin]

Surf...

Funny thing to me is how the market moves with different changes in culture.

When I was a kid guitarist everybody wanted to dump those cheap crap open tuners to the marvelous and magnificent Grovers - and the Gibson Klusons were also considered cheap crap. Hadda have the Grover sealed units no matter what.

Now... I hear guys saying gotta get rid of the cheap crap and ugly Grovers and put on open tuners to be "right" and - I guess, - moral copies of the olden days' guitars.

I do see reasons for various string locking devices if you're using some sort of whammy but... sheesh.

Does your guitar get in tune and stay in tune with strings appropriately pre-stretched, the nut and bridge appropriately adjusted? Sheesh.

The minitune does offer some real advantages. If you don't want those advantages, no big deal. It's not like $2,500 worth of airbags in a two-seat car that you hope you don't need - who knows, at some point you might hope you could need the minitune.

m

Archived