Gibson Brands Forums

Tailpiece and bridge height

Desmosedici

Hi fellas

Quick question ..... Why are there so many variations in height from the body with the bridge and tailpiece?

Obviously the bridge has to match the fretboard's projected height, but why so many variations in the LPS alone?

Some have the tailpiece flush with the body, esp Reissues, while my Standard's tailpiece is screwed out 5mm or so

Anyone?

( I'm hoping the answer is something better than Gibson slapping the neck on the body in production room #2, and then much later on in the production line the set-up guy makes allowance for the larger than optimum neck/body angle/tangent)

Hello!

Some prefer the tailpiece sitting flush on the top - in hope of achieving better sustain.

Others (including me) are adjusting the tailpiece to achieve the same break angle of strings from the bridge (towards the tailpiece), as from the nut (towards the machine heads). It gives a less dense feel of the strings (easier bends).

According to Dan Erlewine, the "flush" tailpiece will give You more sustain, as long as the strings are not touching the rear edge of the bridge, on the expense of lost harmonic overtones. He recommends, the previous method.

Then, some "top-wrap" the strings over the tailpiece, to get the best of both worlds (on the expense of damaging the chrome-plating).

So, it's really up to ones preferences.

Best wishes... Bence

I quote a post of mine into this topic: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/116738-help-me-understand-something/

Quote:

This is due to neck set angle tolerances. Gibson usually specifies +/- 15' from nominal value, resulting in +/- 2.74 mm bridge height variation for 628.65 mm scale length at a given setup. My Gibson guitars are varying strongly but still clearly within this range.

Please refer to these pics of Les Paul guitars:

Std12_B-T_zpsmccqax9l.jpg

StdQ_B-T_zpspa79xfrv.jpg

Trad_B-T_zps5ui5wnxs.jpg

End of Quote

Great pics, Cap.... The last one looks a lot like mine (but mine has an odd looking half ring of paint or something I don't want to mess with, on the body stud)

Same height

It just made me wonder, since the VOSs and Reissues are pretty much flush as far as I've seen - though the bridges are definitely different .... slimmer I think

Here's one I'm doing.

At the start strings hitting back of bridge, intonation way off, pick-ups adjusted so-so. I don't know who did what. But Gibson doesn't ship like that.

IMG_0859_zpse493bcee.jpg

Here's the two Es with a piece of dental floss to check for clearance

IMG_0866_zps0148c6ec.jpg

With clearance of the bridge the Stop Tail rise's.............

IMG_0867_zps98d3fb87.jpg

Here's the action ..........

IMG_0868_zps9997446a.jpg

Course from there its intonation and personal tweaks on the pick-up heights since they definitely will differ from the initial adjustments.

Great pics, Cap.... The last one looks a lot like mine (but mine has an odd looking half ring of paint or something I don't want to mess with, on the body stud)

Same height

It just made me wonder, since the VOSs and Reissues are pretty much flush as far as I've seen - though the bridges are definitely different .... slimmer I think

Thank you very much, Desmo.

When looking closely under the tailpiece post on the bass side pictured here, you may see a bright ring around the bushing:

[StdQ_B-T_zpspa79xfrv.jpg

The finish of this guitar had lifted from the wood around both the tailpiece bushings. Since the top is stained and the coat is a clear, undyed one, the master luthier at Thomann injected some highly diluted clear nitro finish into the gap several times within a short period for repair, and it worked perfectly. [thumbup]

Hadn't bought the guitar at Thomann but went there since they have rather skilled servicemen.

I quote a post of mine into this topic: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/116738-help-me-understand-something/

Quote:

This is due to neck set angle tolerances. Gibson usually specifies +/- 15' from nominal value, resulting in +/- 2.74 mm bridge height variation for 628.65 mm scale length at a given setup. My Gibson guitars are varying strongly but still clearly within this range.

Please refer to these pics of Les Paul guitars:

vs5b.jpg

y50n.jpg

gzy3.jpg

End of Quote

I have to level the STs and check it out, I been leaving them at a slant and for no particular reason. They look good above.

Archived