Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Les Paul & ES-137

Hype

I agree with P. I had a LP Classic and it was an 07 I think and the inlay work on the headstock was crappy just like this one (Gibson's QC was bad then). I have had 2 ES137' and have a current one and I don't see anything on that 137 that would make me think it's fake. The regular 137 and classic 137 have the silkscreen logo where as the 137 custom has inlay work on the headstock.

Really? Geez maybe I need to be educated more. The ES-137 the logo is off and the ES-137 on the headstock is off centered. With regards to the Les Paul, the headstock looks poor.

I was sure these 2 were fake....

The silkscreen logos on the ES-137 headstock are poorly aligned, but these things may happen during production. As far as I know, they put them on by hand.

Air bubbles around headstock inlays and machine heads are widely spread. They might depend on variations of timber humidity, glue and finish blend. There also are variations in the time gaps between glueing these parts to the headstock and finishing. Some Gibsons show air bubbles after just a few years, on some it takes longer, and others are free of them. Changes of long-term environmental conditions may play a role, too.

... Geez maybe I need to be educated more. ...

I agree with the comments here. But don't feel too bad - As has said many times around here - the only thing consistent about Gibson is Gibson's inconsistency. If you're going to be up on the game, you've got to know all the swings.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gibson variability. . B)

I agree with the comments here. But don't feel too bad - As has said many times around here - the only thing consistent about Gibson is Gibson's inconsistency. If you're going to be up on the game, you've got to know all the swings.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gibson variability. . B)

[biggrin][thumbup] Obviously it's not just the timbers. [rolleyes]

Archived