Gibson Brands Forums

what SG i got ?

tsol

hi

i have scored this SG last week, Guitar Dater Project says it is of 1991. It's color looks to be an Heritage Cherry, but what i'm looking to know is it a "Standard" , "Special" or ... ? What kind of pickups it got etc, thanks for help.

img0616fp8.jpg

w450.png

also, as it is being my first SG, there is something that i feel wrong with it: Compared to all my other guitars: (strat, tele, flying v, tokai les paul, es345, es175) this SG guitar lacks significantly of basses , attack and presence. I tried to raise the neck pickup without that much of success... this is really strange, or is this type of.. uhh "weak" sound is very specific to all SG's ?? or it is maybe just me? lol

thanks in advance

oh and btw, check this out, (below) i would have never thought an SG would sound like that! :)

Johny "Guitar" Watson - Ta Ta My Baby (blues - live)

Looks exactely like how a standard should look. So I assume it is a standard.

and...

Weak sound? It does NOT have the same picking attack a tele' date=' but... weak sound?[/quote']

uhh i think have to get used to it.. and explore it more =D>

Or there is some trouble with your gear (guitar, pedals, cables, settings, amp...).

My extensive experience (coff, coff) tells me that most times it's in the cables. But it could be that you just need to mess a little with your amps, pedals, strings and stuff.

But always use good quality cables.

Hey man. Nice choice. Thats a Gibson SG Standard, a fine instrument.

I have one myself in ebony.

I too thought the pickups lacked the sound I wanted, but the guitar itself played like a dream. That's why I got new pickups and other upgrades done. Changing the pickups is real quick and easy if you buy them at a local store and have them do the installation. I got Seymour Duncans and they were relatively inexpensive and they sound fantastic. They have billions of pickups that can be switched in for humbuckers.

Good luck, and nice buy.

Hey man. Nice choice. Thats a Gibson SG Standard' date=' a fine instrument.

I have one myself in ebony.

I too thought the pickups lacked the sound I wanted, but the guitar itself played like a dream. That's why I got new pickups and other upgrades done. Changing the pickups is real quick and easy if you buy them at a local store and have them do the installation. I got Seymour Duncans and they were relatively inexpensive and they sound fantastic. They have billions of pickups that can be switched in for humbuckers.

Good luck, and nice buy.[/quote']

put saymour duncan on a gibson? uhmm.. =P~

thoes that affect / alter the original sg's signature tone ?

Archived