Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone here have a Dove Modern Classic???

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

I have been looking at the 'Dove Modern Classic' in natural/cherry finish. Anyone here own one or care to share opinions? I like this over the sound of the Hummingbird, but it is indeed a bright guitar. I like the way a maple neck sounds with a maple body.... the Dove sounds similar to the J-200, but maybe the sound is a bit more hard or more bite.

I couldn't find this model on the Gibson site.

Thanks,

Freddie

Hi All,

I have been looking at the 'Dove Modern Classic' in natural/cherry finish. Anyone here own one or care to share opinions? I like this over the sound of the Hummingbird, but it is indeed a bright guitar. I like the way a maple neck sounds with a maple body.... the Dove sounds similar to the J-200, but maybe the sound is a bit more hard or more bite.

Thanks,

Freddie

i think you described it well. as for finding it on the site.... these days, the Dove is just a guitar that is made in limited runs so it rarely shows up on the site.

Surprisingly narrow nut!

If considering the guitar at Dave's, make sure you negotiate another 20% off the lowest advertised price.

Does this go for all online stores, or just Dave's? I got my J-45 Custom for 24% off plus free next day shipping, no tax, and money back guarantee if I didn't want it. I felt that was a pretty darn good deal.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Freddie

Hey Freddie,

I recently bought a 2002 Dove, and am pretty impressed with its versatility and piano-like

tones. I too was concerned about maple brightness, but played the Dove next to Martin HD 28 and

35's, and concluded the Dove was as warm as the Martins, but with less prominent bass. As an aside, I own a 1973 Martin D35 as well, and always considered Gibson acoustics a notch below, tone wise. Consider that prejudice corrected, though the D35 still eats banjos for breakfast.

The Dove is my preferred big body Gibson, as it will do everything, chunky rhythm, sweet chords, arpeggios and single note leads, effortlessly. With minor setup, mine now plays like a Les Paul. The maple gets warmer and richer sounding with playing and age, and I've noticed a similar evolution on Taylor maple jumbos. Doves are very unappreciated tone birds flying under the marketing radar. Buy one, you'll never regret it, coming from a Martin, now Dove guy.

Sean

Archived