Gibson Brands Forums

DADGAD Book

BluesKing777

I have been 'dabbling' with playing in DADGAD tuning for quite a while, probably first heard of it from Stefan Grossman books. So far, I have learned tunes arranged by someone else in various styles like Celtic and Jazz, but that way of learning is nice, but it doesn't help you arrange your own thing.

A while ago, I was reading about this book by Doug Young, I think on AGF, now in my hot little hands! (Delivered with some other trinkets via Japan of all routes, but that is another story!).

This is great to start at the bottom and , hopefully, work the way UP!

http://www.amazon.com/presents-Understanding-DADGAD-Fingerstyle-Guitar/dp/0786676418#

BluesKing777.

No interest here?

It s a great book so far. Someone with common sense would soon work out a lot of this stuff, but I don't have any common sense, so a nice roadmap in a book with scales and fingerings and ideas to push me along are the way to go! All done for us - diagrams, tab, music - whichever system you like best.

So for me, myself, I - YMMV - I am interested in playing standard tuning stuff in DADGAD as well as the DADGADies that suit the tuning. I look at it like I was at a friend's, tuned in DADGAD, picking a few tunes and then the friend or even The Other Half says, and this HAS happened......: ' Play ......xxxxx for us - I love that one'. Pfffft - no idea how to play anything except the DADGADies in DADGAD, so hang on a minute you lot while I do a quick retune....boidoing, boidoing, boidoing, boidoing, boidoing, boidoing, boidoing, already lost their interest.

Or worse, and this has happened while I was in a band with a guitar in Open D tuning - the singer was under strict instructions to stick to the list so the plan of playing certain tunes in standard tuning and then finish the set with a few slide tunes in Open D, but of course the singer....wings it! Try playing a jazzy blues in Bb in Open D tuning....beyond my scope, but the band kicks off................

So the good news is that I have this very morning played through a version of Stormy Monday using 7th chords in A in DADGAD!

BluesKing777.

Archived