Gibson Brands Forums

To Gibson - Strap Locks

Plank_Spanker

Ok . . . here's what I do on guitars that do not have strap locks fitted. I put the strap on the strap button, then I get the rubber disc that comes inside the lid of a bottle of Grolsch which is the size of a large coin, and it has a hole in the centre. Push this over the strap button and it holds the strap firmly in place. The red rubber does not come into contact with the finish of your guitar only with the strap so it won't damage the finish. No screw, no drills, no tools required.

Ok . . . here's what I do on guitars that do not have strap locks fitted. I put the strap on the strap button' date=' then I get the rubber disc that comes inside the lid of a bottle of Grolsch which is the size of a large coin, and it has a hole in the centre. Push this over the strap button and it holds the strap firmly in place. The red rubber does not come into contact with the finish of your guitar only with the strap so it won't damage the finish. No screw, no drills, no tools required. [/quote']

Sounds like a good reason to buy some more Grolsch.......

I didn't have to change out the screws for my SG standard. I put the stock strap screw+ button next to each other, and the schaller screw was only 1/16 longer when inside the locking button. I put on a thick felt washer and screwed it in, worked fine. For the end button, use some layers of super glue to build up the hole, and screw it in. YMMV.

I seem to prefer dunlop straplocks on certain types of guitars, and schallers on others. not sure why. With my SG's and H535 the schallers stick out less on that neck joint strap button, which is good. With all of my other guitars, which are double cuts with the button on the upper horn, I use dunlops. Of course it helps that my Carvins came stock with dunlops, and so did my hamers.

I have installed dunlop strap locks on all three of my Gibsons. Paying $15 to avoid heartbreak and misery further on done the line seems very worth it' date=' and if nothing even happens there is still peace of mind knowing that the strap area is one less place to worry about when playing live.[/quote'] exactly... especially if you have the guitar

hanging low. My friend who just got a used LP classic nearly had it take a dive when one of the strap ends came undone. Especially with the weird angle the upper button is on, some kind of locking system is necessary, end of story.

I have some kind of strap lock on EVERY guitar I own, except for my acoustic. If I get a new guitar, that's the first thing to go on if it lacks them. I love that Carvin offers them as an option from the factory, and it's only about a 7.50 upcharge. other companies should definitely follow.

To the makers of the finest guitars on the planet' date='

Why, oh why, have you not included a locking strap system with your Les Pauls? The existing strap pegs are a disaster waiting to happen - and luthiers around the world are making money on broken headstocks and necks.

To me, it's a "no brainer". You folks build the best, so why not build in a little protection for it?[/quote']

So I guess the next request is "Can I have a toilet that wipes my butt when I'm done"? :-k

Question: Whats it worth to Gibson to include more expensive hardware? Especially Strap Locks??

Answer: Nothing!

Why: They would rather have you drop your axe and void out the warranty instead of giving you strap locks and then

have you come back and say your guitar fell because of their BAD choice in strap locks.

Its a catch 22. [biggrin]

Archived