Gibson Brands Forums

My Dove Pro

cliffmac

So it hasn't been long at all, maybe 2 months or so, and while I was wiping the strings and the neck down after playing it tonight I noticed how the wood grain is really coming through the finish which is the violin burst. Any opinions? I am of the opinion that that would mean a thinner finsh meaning more wood tones and volume.

So it hasn't been long at all, maybe 2 months or so, and while I was wiping the strings and the neck down after playing it tonight I noticed how the wood grain is really coming through the finish which is the violin burst. Any opinions? I am of the opinion that that would mean a thinner finsh meaning more wood tones and volume.

I am assuming you are well versed on Humidification, but just a thought here for you.....If the wood grains look like they are coming through the Poly finish on the top, and the top finish looks sort of dipped in waves across the wood grains, it may be dehydrated....dried out. Winter heating season requires all solid tops to be humidified at about 45 to 50%. ..they can warp, crack, and the grains can dip and pop and look less flat, and more uneven, as your eyes look across the top surface under the light.. If it looks like that it may need humidity. Wood grains should not come through the finish, particularly on poly finishes, at least not for many years. But the grains can distort and dip like little waves when the guitar wood has dried out to the danger point.

Remember that your Dove has a solid top but laminated sides. This makes it just as important to keep the Dove properly humidified as any other all solid wood guitar. ...as the solid sitka top will give, rise, and fall with humidity changes...but the back and sides will not move nearly as much, sometimes putting more pressure on the top.

Due to a defective hygrometer, I recently accidentally over humidified my Epiphone AJ220sce (solid top, laminated sides and back) and the top warped and began to buckle because the top expanded. Under-humidification can do the same by shrinking the top, pulling it away from the laminated sides, and altering the way the grains look on top.

Other than that, your Dove is quite new and should not show signs of finish stress. Eventually, over the years, Poly, like all fine lacquer, can absorb slightly into the top revealing the grains more distinctly, but that should not happen for years....Low humidification however could accelerate this problem in my opinion. Good luck. Any question feel free to ask! ...GL

I am assuming you are well versed on Humidification, but just a thought here for you.....If the wood grains look like they are coming through the Poly finish on the top, and the top finish looks sort of dipped in waves across the wood grains, it may be dehydrated....dried out. Winter heating season requires all solid tops to be humidified at about 45 to 50%. ..they can warp, crack, and the grains can dip and pop and look less flat, and more uneven, as you eyes looks across the top surface under the light.. If it looks like that it may need humidity. Wood grains should not come through the finish, particularly on poly finishes, at least not for many years. But the grains can distort and dip like little waves when the guitar wood has dried out to the danger point.

Remember that your Dove has a solid top but laminated sides. This makes it just as important to keep the Dove properly humidified as any other all solid wood guitar. ...as the solid sitka top will give, rise, and fall with humidity changes...but the back and sides will not move nearly as much, sometimes putting more pressure on the top.

Due to a defective hygrometer, I recently accidentally over humidified my Epiphone AJ220sce (solid top, laminated sides and back) and the top warped and began to buckle because the top expanded. Under-humidification can do the same by shrinking the top, pulling it away from the laminated sides, and altering the way the grains look on top.

Other than that, your Dove is quite new and should not show signs of finish stress. Eventually, over the years, Poly, like all fine lacquer, can absorb slightly into the top revealing the grains more distinctly, but that should not happen for years....Low humidification however could accelerate this problem in my opinion. Good luck. Any question feel free to ask! ...GL

And this is why I love this forum thank you very much for the reply OH WISE AND KNOWING GUITARKIGHT. it is in its case with getting humidified. I'll keep you posted sir and again thank you for your opinion.

And this is why I love this forum thank you very much for the reply OH WISE AND KNOWING GUITARKIGHT. it is in its case with getting humidified. I'll keep you posted sir and again thank you for your opinion.

Great and thank you! If a guitar is dry, it will take at least 3 days to a week to re-hydrate back to normal in its case. Be careful not to over humidify it. Too much water too fast is also not good also. A water humidifier hose or other sound hole humidifier will do its magic is a few days. In the mean time you may still play it, just return it to the humidified case when done. The first fill may dry out the device quickly as the water leaves the humidifier and enters the guitars top. When the guitar has reached 45 or 50%, the humidifier will not dry out as fast, indicating the top has the humidity it needs.

I use this sound hole humidifier..the Dampit hose http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=dampit%20humidifiers&src=dampit%20humidifiers

And I use this hygrometer inside the case and lay it near the sound hole (The Oasis) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Oasis-OH-2-Digital-Hygrometer-w-clip-421666-i1396314.gc

Both work extremely well, and give much peace of mind for the protection of your Dove, making it last for years to come! Good luck again ...GL

OK so in the case with my Kyser sound hole humidifier and gauge says 47%. Brings me back to the original question could it be a thin finish? the sound is amazing volume and tone are awesome no warps or movement of any kind in the top or back did put a bone nut and saddle on, I love this thing!

Great and thank you! If a guitar is dry, it will take at least 3 days to a week to re-hydrate back to normal in its case. Be careful not to over humidify it. Too much water too fast is also not good also. A water humidifier hose or other sound hole humidifier will do its magic is a few days. In the mean time you may still play it, just return it to the humidified case when done. The first fill may dry out the device quickly as the water leaves the humidifier and enters the guitars top. When the guitar has reached 45 or 50%, the humidifier will not dry out as fast, indicating the top has the humidity it needs.

I use this sound hole humidifier..the Dampit hose http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=dampit%20humidifiers&src=dampit%20humidifiers

And I use this hygrometer inside the case and lay it near the sound hole (The Oasis) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Oasis-OH-2-Digital-Hygrometer-w-clip-421666-i1396314.gc

Both work extremely well, and give much peace of mind for the protection of your Dove, making it last for years to come! Good luck again ...GL

I use the Oasis hygrometers, but I use their humidifying units as well. Seems to work out great.

OK so in the case with my Kyser sound hole humidifier and gauge says 47%. Brings me back to the original question could it be a thin finish? the sound is amazing volume and tone are awesome no warps or movement of any kind in the top or back did put a bone nut and saddle on, I love this thing!

It sounds to me like you are seeing the ridges of the wood grain. This is called corderoying, and indicates a thin finish, which is desirable.

If you had a hydration issue, it would more likely manifest itself in a sunken spot between the soundhole and the bridge. It should be a soft arc.

Other easily identifiable symptoms of a dry guitar are protruding fret ends where there were none before, a hump at the 14th fret where the neck meets the body, lower action than usual, or a flatter back than usual (it should have a slight arch).

If you had a straightedge, you could check the neck angle. When placed on the fretboard, the straightedge will often not touch the top of the saddle if a guitar is too dry.

All of these symptoms would cause the guitar to feel and sound worse than normal, and you would probably have noticed this by now.

Hydration issues effect the structure of the guitar; they rarely effect the finish, as the finish is somewhat pliable (more so with nitro).

Red 333

Unfortunately the pictures I took don't like this sites format but the neck is straight, the top of the tail piece lines up perfect with a straight edge from 9th fret down. the back does belly slightly and the top has no warpage at all. the wood grain shows evenly thru the top back and sides again I think I got a Very Nice instrument with a thinner than usual finish. After playing it tonight I wiped it down and place it in the case with the humidifier. tomorrow night I will be playing the DR500 so it will get a rest.

Archived