Gibson Brands Forums

Innovations, improvements, specs, etc.

BobF_

LOL Yep! I recently mentioned (somewhere on this forum) about how (to me) overdrive/distortion pedals

can sound so different, when you first buy one, but after awhile, they start sounding alike, regardless

of price, components, and brand name. What real differences may be apparent, might be more a justification

of the price you just paid, rather than any meaningful difference??? Who knows? Some sound awesome with

a certain guitar, and amp combination, other's with another. Yet, back in "the day," there were only

a handful of pedals (of any kind), that made all those "holy grail" tones we try to capture, with a plethora

of pedals, on (often) several pedal boards, these days. And, let's face it, a LOT of that old lovely tone,

was without any pedals whatsoever! Just the guitar, and over-driven amp, and the PLAYER's prowess.

I think we buy pedals (especially OD/Distortion), for the tone of a Fender Twin, Dual Showman, or Bassman,

and/or Marshall Plexi, on 10, but at more "reasonable" volume levels. And, as such, it will always be a

compromise, of some sort. I suspect, it's more what you get used to ("familiarity, breeds contempt), and a lot

of plain old "Marketing!"

CB

Yup, LOL! Back in my day (70's), there were about 4 pedals I could get the use of, and we did literally everything with those, the amp, and the vol/tones on the git. I now own about 2 dozen boxes and I'd probably use at the most about 8 at a time (per song). Dave Gilmour stuff is probably where I'd use the most I think. Makes me wonder sometimes....

lol

Archived