Gibson Brands Forums

electrical fault

Bellers

I have an Ephiphone Les Paul Studio which I bought new 6 or 7 years ago. It has only ever been played at home and therefore not subjected to the rigors of performances. Recently I decided to play ( I have 2 others so they take it in turns!) and noticed a problem when I selected the treble setting on the 3 way toggle. Nothing was being picked up although if I touched the bridge pick up with a finger there was an electrical sound and the pick up would work normally. Obviously I couldn't play continuing to hold a finger on the pu just so it would work. I can only assume there is a wiring problem and that I was acting as an earth which somehow made the pu operate. I have looked at all the wiring and everything seems to be OK in the sense that there is no obvious wiring that has become loose. Any suggestions please.

thanks for the feedback regarding WD40. I have managed to resolve part of the problem in that I found one of the tone nobs was slightly loose from it's connection with the body of the guitar. After tightening this has improved the problem enormously although I still have a buzzing sound coming from the amp and when I touch the bridge pick up when in treble mode I get a very interesting distortion/sustain effect! Must get some contact cleaner and spray the electrics. Will let you know if this resolves the problem.

Archived