Gibson Brands Forums

Ephone ES-339: P94 OR P90?

howlingsounds

The question makes sense. The answer may not, and that is No, nothing sounds like a P90 like a P90 does. Any single coil pickup is far more than just a split/tapped humbucker, it is its' own thing.

rct

Strictly speaking the guitar will most likely have a coil split, i.e. it switches between both the coils of the humbucker pickup to just one of the coils of the pickup.

If you install P94s, you will render the coil split switch redundant as the pickups only have one coil (hence the name "single coil" pickups). The P94 is simply a P90 single coil pickup in a different housing.

In theory a single coil can be "tapped" (only part of the coil is activated) but I doubt this is possible without major modification of the P94 pickup.

The humbucker pickups in your guitar now will have 4 conductor wires which allow it to be connected to the coil splitting switch. And internally it will have the circuit to allow you to select between [A] isolating one coil or using both simultaneously.

The P94 has only 2 conductor wires and no option for connection to the coil split switch (and no circuit inside which can be split/tapped).

Strictly speaking the guitar will most likely have a coil split, i.e. it switches between both the coils of the humbucker pickup to just one of the coils of the pickup.

If you install P94s, you will render the coil split switch redundant as the pickups only have one coil (hence the name "single coil" pickups). The P94 is simply a P90 single coil pickup in a different housing.

In theory a single coil can be "tapped" (only part of the coil is activated) but I doubt this is possible without major modification of the P94 pickup.

The humbucker pickups in your guitar now will have 4 conductor wires which allow it to be connected to the coil splitting switch. And internally it will have the circuit to allow you to select between [A] isolating one coil or using both simultaneously.

The P94 has only 2 conductor wires and no option for connection to the coil split switch (and no circuit inside which can be split/tapped).

so your answer is that i CAN put p94s on the guitar but can no longer use the coil tap? (i am perfectly okay with this).

thanks for the replies!

More specifically, with a single coil pickup (of any sort), there is nothing to "tap." The whole point of a coil tap is to eliminate one of the two coils of a humbucker in order to have access to a single coil sound. When the pickup is a single coil to start with, you're already there.

More specifically, with a single coil pickup (of any sort), there is nothing to "tap." The whole point of a coil tap is to eliminate one of the two coils of a humbucker in order to have access to a single coil sound. When the pickup is a single coil to start with, you're already there.

Being really nitpicky here - forgive me - but it is in fact posisble to tap a single coil, i.e. use a circuit to isolate a smaller section of the coil for lower output.

However, with stock P94s this is not possible, as you rightly point out.

If we're going to be really stirct, the circuit in the ES339 which switches from two coils to one coil is also a coil split (not a tap).

This guy explains it well:

Archived