Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page SG1275 - question for admin...

emgee

I just bought #20 of the 250 VOSes of this guitar brand new from GC and am wondering if I am missing some of the case candy. According to Gibson's website about this guitar, along with the usual stuff (care kit, COA) it is supposed to come with a Led Zep DVD and exclusive interview with Page about the double neck. Is this correct? If so, and if GC does not have these items, can I get them from Gibson with proof of purchase of this guitar?

Also, in the hard shell case compartment is what appears to be a spare 2-piece pick guard for this guitar (still with the white cloth peel-off protective covers). Is this supposed to come with this guitar, or might it be indicative of this guitar not actually being new? I am concerned that perhaps I purchased a guitar that had been returned or repaired. This concern was heightened today hen I noticed while playing the guitar there is a LOT of vibration and buzzing from the bridge of the 6-string. I would think that Gibson's check of this guitar before shipping it out would have caught any abnormalities - so perhaps the guitar had been damaged and returned???

=P~

Thanks,

if it is one of the unsigned VOS versions' date=' all that you should get is a COA. all the other stuff you mention came with the 25 signed ones only.

no idea why you have a 2nd pickguard...that is not something we shipped with these.[/quote']

Another question about this guitar...

mine buzzes like crazy on the 6-string neck when you play it hard. seems to be coming from the bridge. is this normal on these guitars?

• 2 weeks later...
i'm not sure i'd say it's normal' date=' but at the same time, those big bodies are going to be very resonant so i'm not surprised you're getting some residual buzz on one neck when you play the other. [/quote']

I'm not talking about buzz from one neck when playing the other. I'm talking about terrible buzzing on the 6-string neck whenever playing it. And if I apply pressure to the bridge, the buzzing goes away, so must be something loose. It sounds like a $50 guitar - the buzzing is that bad.

I've had this guitar for less than 1 month. I would have thought the Custom shop's pre-pack inspection would have caught this and fixed it - very disappointing. It's definitely not what a $7,000 guitar should sound like. (I've played Epiphone and Gibson SG double necks at my guitar store that don't buzz like this one.)

I guess I should take it in for warranty? (A waste of my time.) It would be nice if you guys would do a better job of inspecting your work before it leaves the factory - especially on high end models like this one. This is made in USA, not China.

I took my JPP SG1275 to an authorized Gibson warranty shop (also a renowned luthier in the Seattle area). He told me that the ABR-1 bridge that is used on this model was notorious for buzzing - in the old days, he would have to put modeling clay in the saddle seats of Gibson guitars to keep the bridges from buzzing. And, he said, that's why Gibson replaced that bridge with the newer style bridge on the current guitars. So, there is nothing wrong with my guitar - it just sounds like a piece of crap, just like the original. Were I not a big JPP fan, I'd get my $7k back.

My question: why doesn't the Gibson admin answering this post know and relay this?

i guess i'm not sure what you want me to "relay"...the ABR-1 is a "historically accurate" part used on many of our Historic and Signature models' date=' and i'm not aware of any general consensus that brands it inadequate, despite the occasional buzz...[/quote']

I would like you to display some real knowledge of these guitars, and provide a straight answer - not some bs. I've taken this guitar to 2 renowned luthiers in Seattle, and each independently said these guitars - and specifically, these bridges - always buzzed like crazy. Your comment re: the "occasional" buzz displays little knowledge of the facts about this instrument. You can't play a note or strum a single chord on the 6-string neck of this guitar without the bridge buzzing like crazy - there is nothing "occasional" about it.

So, I paid $7k for what sounds like a $50 piece of sh&% purchased in a K-mart. If your - and Gibson's - contention is that this guitar should not play this poorly, then I'd like it properly fixed. It's a brand new instrument purchased only last month and under full warranty.

I'm a good customer of Gibsons - this is my 5th Custom Shop guitar. I've spent a lot of money supporting you guys and expect satisfaction with the products I purchase.

Please advise.

i can't really comment on your specific guitar, since i haven't played it. in fact i'm not sure i played a single one of the Page 1275s, as they were basically all sold as they came off the production line, so i can't comment on your situation and whether it is worse or better than on any other Page 1275...sorry about that. What i can tell you is that i have not heard any sort of general comment from the public that this buzzing is an unworkable problem on this particular guitar. And while i am not in Customer Service, i'm sure those folks would have passed word along to me about any sort of general situation.

As far as the ABR-1 in general, we use it on thousands of guitars every year and while we do occasionally hear about buzzing bridges, this is not perceived as a critical issue...it's just part of the deal with the retaining wire: sometimes it buzzes, most times (hopefully) it does not. if it "buzzed like crazy" all the time i'm sure we wouldn't use them anymore.

if you are unhappy with the guitar and the performance of the bridge, please contact our Customer Service Department...they can set you up to return the guitar to us so we can address the issue (i don't have the capability to set up a return for you). CS can be reached at 1-800-4gibson, or service@gibson.com.

Archived