Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Used the Martin Retro strings on an L-00?

BluesKing777

Allergic reactions like this can be the result of long-term exposure to irritants. Unfortunately, I've developed a number of them as I've gotten older. You work with something for a lifetime with no problem, and one day you wake up and discover you can't be in the same room with it without breaking out in a rash.

Just perfect!

Known as Cat Scratch Fever, isnt it?

I have played with the Elixirs (80/20s) with no itch for a couple of days, and while I like the sound of the Gibson with these strings, it is just a pretty generic string sound whereas the Retros are/WERE great sounding for blues fingerpicking..........but after a couple of days, we humans dont actually remember sounds well, but we remember that we liked it a lot.......

Next! Onward and upward and Tally Ho and all that....

BluesKing777.

Thanks for that...rub it in.

Oh Oh! Get the shovel again!

If it makes you feel better JZ, the beach in the photos with the houses on it was re-named years and years ago to Safety Beach to attract tourism......

Previously known as SHARK BAY!!!!!

I mean how can you go from Shark Bay to Safety Beach?

BluesKing777.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread (although someone else mentioned it in a new thread) to recommend the John Pearse Pure Nickels for anyone who likes, or dislikes, the Retro/Monels. The Pure Nickels should be great for pickups, too. I find the JP PNs to be everything the Retros/Monels are advertised to be. I think it does depend upon the guitar, though.

Also wanted to say the Retros do sound fantastic on that L-0. Great job, BluesKing777. Never heard that song before and love it.

Thanks!

I have to delete a lot of that old photo and music stuff - my work computer gurgled, gasped and you know what happens next...pfffft!

So as we speak, I am using a really lousy work supplied laptop jerry-rigged to a big Dell screen - my iPhone screen is bigger than the laptop sad thing. I am not allowed to use my beautiful Mac laptop because of security reasons, I am told. Apparently we are getting a new system in September, so no computer until after that..... [mellow] - come on guys, we are bleeding tears here! I mean the work stuff works, but my private stuff like photos and music is suffering! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Thanks!

I have to delete a lot of that old photo and music stuff - my work computer gurgled, gasped and you know what happens next...pfffft!

So as we speak, I am using a really lousy work supplied laptop jerry-rigged to a big Dell screen - my iPhone screen is bigger than the laptop sad thing. I am not allowed to use my beautiful Mac laptop because of security reasons, I am told. Apparently we are getting a new system in September, so no computer until after that..... [mellow] - come on guys, we are bleeding tears here! I mean the work stuff works, but my private stuff like photos and music is suffering! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Ha--is it a work Mac?? Must be? I want a job where I get fancy stuff :P

Archived