Gibson Brands Forums

Another Epiphone Les Paul Custom, LEGIT or FAKE?

GlauberJoe

Hi there, I've come across an Epihone Les Paul Custom Alpine White in a local store but I wanted to make sure it is a legit Epiphone, not a Fake one that you find everywhere these days.

A help would be appreciated by identifying it as a legit Epiphone.

It's serial is i13012743 and it a match but so is almost every fake ones I've encountered so far.

Any light on the matter?

Thanks

post-35947-097002200 1425922365_thumb.jpg

post-35947-047057200 1425922372_thumb.jpg

post-35947-076586700 1425922373_thumb.jpg

post-35947-007567100 1425922375_thumb.jpg

post-35947-048035500 1425922376_thumb.jpg

post-35947-097946700 1425922377_thumb.jpg

post-35947-039563800 1425922379_thumb.jpg

post-35947-024929500 1425922398_thumb.jpg

post-35947-089190200 1425922399_thumb.jpg

post-35947-043445300 1425922401_thumb.jpg

I would vote for real.

The thing that screams "real" to me are the original Epiphone stickers on the pups. I've never seen that on a fake. BTW, fake Epi LPs are much rarer than fake Gibson LPs for the obvious value-related reasons. I've only seen fake Epis in pictures and they usually have at least one overt design defect (e.g. truss rod cover). Unlike the guitar in your pictures.

A Gibson fake, on occasion, will fool the best of observers (via photos) so the only way validate is to track the serial number down (off topic, sorry).

That looks like a lovely, basically brand new 2013 Indonesian LP to me (would play).

Edit: oops, after looking at guitardaterproject.org it reads as "Your guitar was made at the

Saein Plant, Korea/China

January 2013

Production Number: 2743". So not Indonesia after all.

Ken

Hi there, I've come across an Epihone Les Paul Custom Alpine White in a local store but I wanted to make sure it is a legit Epiphone, not a Fake one that you find everywhere these days.

A help would be appreciated by identifying it as a legit Epiphone.

It's serial is i13012743 and it a match but so is almost every fake ones I've encountered so far.

Any light on the matter?

Thanks

Cool shop that lets you take photos out in a garden.

The code suggests January 2013 made in Korea (sorry - EDIT - China). Might be good place to start with the company seeing whether that makes sense (I don't know where they make these).

[b]In 2008 models begin to appear without a factory i.d. letter prefix[/b].

YY = Year of manufacture

MM = Month of manufature

FF = Factory I.D.

RRRRR = Ranking number

Example: 08121520333 = 2008 / December / factory 15 / unit 20333

-EPI WIKI

also, you can get those pickups with the covers all day long on E-Bay. 2013 models are outfitted with the newer Epiphone ProBuckers

[b]In 2008 models begin to appear without a factory i.d. letter prefix[/b].

YY = Year of manufacture

MM = Month of manufature

FF = Factory I.D.

RRRRR = Ranking number

Example: 08121520333 = 2008 / December / factory 15 / unit 20333

-EPI WIKI

also, you can get those pickups with the covers all day long on E-Bay. 2013 models are outfitted with the newer Epiphone ProBuckers

Absolutely, these days they fake everything, from toothpaste to cars that's why I'm always on high alert before I even think about getting another guitar.

Unfortunately Wiki is not 100% save proof, but I'm pretty much over this guitar since not even Epiphone itself could spare a few minutes just to respond my e-mail...

Thanks for the help anyway!

Absolutely, these days they fake everything, from toothpaste to cars that's why I'm always on high alert before I even think about getting another guitar.

Unfortunately Wiki is not 100% save proof, but I'm pretty much over this guitar since not even Epiphone itself could spare a few minutes just to respond my e-mail...

Thanks for the help anyway!

hey there Joe. I respect your trying to avoid fakes, especially if you encounter a lot of them in your market. At the same time I could probably anticipate Epiphone sending you a response like this...

"Dear Joe,

Whilst the guitar in the photo looks like an Epiphone, we cannot be sure that it is not a fake from the photos, nor that the photos are actually of the guitar your store has for sale (as counterfeiters use fake photos at times) without a detailed inspection which would at the very least involve you couriering the guitar to us at your expense. Our suggestion is to buy from an authorised Epiphone dealer as you will be guaranteed to be buying a genuine Epihone product."

what else can they say - they can't just fly someone down to check out a guitar sold by any old shop, they can't take responsibility for your purchase based on photos (that may not even be the actual guitar) and opinions either. what if everyone who buys a used guitar starts asking the supposed manufacturer to verify it?

There's good advice here about asking the question as to whether that serial number could even exist for that guitar - that would be a direct question you could ask Epiphone - over the phone if they have that function.

good luck with your quest. :)

Scales, where are you getting this information "lift out the pick-ups and see if they have an F (for fail) stampoed in the back along with Epiphone - if so, they are probably fakes "?

I have owned several Epiphones (purchased from authorized dealers) and have changed pickups out in most of them and there is an F stamped on the back of the NECK pickups and an R on the Bridge (sometimes an H)

when deciphering a real from a fake the pickups should be at the bottom of the list.

Scales, where are you getting this information "lift out the pick-ups and see if they have an F (for fail) stampoed in the back along with Epiphone - if so, they are probably fakes "?

I have owned several Epiphones (purchased from authorized dealers) and have changed pickups out in most of them and there is an F stamped on the back of the NECK pickups and an R on the Bridge (sometimes an H)

when deciphering a real from a fake the pickups should be at the bottom of the list.

I saw that on a video about fakes but cannot verify personally so have deleted - thanks for the advice that that may be wrong.

's

hey there Joe. I respect your trying to avoid fakes, especially if you encounter a lot of them in your market. At the same time I could probably anticipate Epiphone sending you a response like this...

"Dear Joe,

Whilst the guitar in the photo looks like an Epiphone, we cannot be sure that it is not a fake from the photos, nor that the photos are actually of the guitar your store has for sale (as counterfeiters use fake photos at times) without a detailed inspection which would at the very least involve you couriering the guitar to us at your expense. Our suggestion is to buy from an authorised Epiphone dealer as you will be guaranteed to be buying a genuine Epihone product."

what else can they say - they can't just fly someone down to check out a guitar sold by any old shop, they can't take responsibility for your purchase based on photos (that may not even be the actual guitar) and opinions either. what if everyone who buys a used guitar starts asking the supposed manufacturer to verify it?

There's good advice here about asking the question as to whether that serial number could even exist for that guitar - that would be a direct question you could ask Epiphone - over the phone if they have that function.

good luck with your quest. :)

That's unfortunate really. But anyway, I'm looking for another one, maybe another brand or model.

Thanks!

Archived