Gibson Brands Forums

Why doesn't active pickups have EQ:S?

houndman55

I was looking at "metal" style basses with active pickups and most if not all had some sort of EQ. But most metal style axes with active EMG:s or Duncan Blackouts or whatever just have standard volume and tone and no type of EQ:s. Can anyone explain this?

I was looking at "metal" style basses with active pickups and most if not all had some sort of EQ. But most metal style axes with active EMG:s or Duncan Blackouts or whatever just have standard volume and tone and no type of EQ:s. Can anyone explain this?

There's no reason one couldn't put an active EQ section in a guitar with active pickups. The thing is, guitarists like their guitars simple, especially the metalheads (look at all the metal guitars with just a bridge pickup and a volume control). Bassists for one reason or another seem to prefer the extra tone shaping at the instrument (supposedly).

So it's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of tradition. Guitars have volume and tone controls, active basses have active EQ controls. It's just the way it is.

-Ryan

There's no reason one couldn't put an active EQ section in a guitar with active pickups. The thing is, guitarists like their guitars simple, especially the metalheads (look at all the metal guitars with just a bridge pickup and a volume control). Bassists for one reason or another seem to prefer the extra tone shaping at the instrument (supposedly).

So it's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of tradition. Guitars have volume and tone controls, active basses have active EQ controls. It's just the way it is.

-Ryan

Okay thanks for letting me now...

I'll just add that lots of bass players prefer recording straight in with nothing but an impedance shifter between them and the board, so some eq-ability is a plus for them. Guitar players have to go through four or five kilos of silicon and plastic to achieve their signature tone, so the onboard eq is kinda lost on them.

rct

Archived