Gibson Brands Forums

Do you guys adjust your nuts??

onewilyfool

I was once making a bone nut for a buddies Taylor....I blew it in the 11th hour...cut it a bit shy of the neck to headstock flare. It is really quite a chore to make a bone nut for a guitar. I have made 2 or 3 for my '48 SJ. String spacing , being an issue. I am down with it now!

I guess they dont go through all that at the Gibson/Martin factories, probably doing a combination a of preparing thousands of nuts and saddles by CNC and a bit of fine work when they are stuck on guitars. I have seen videos of people at the factories doing set ups on nuts, but they were really just smiling for the cameras and if they took that long, there would be 120,000 guitars with...gulp...I hate to say it.....no nuts!

I know it is standard practice at Gibbo/Marto to leave the set a fraction high so we can get it how we like it - a couple of guitars I have were ok for 15 minutes or so to play, but then.....pain. Put up with it for a week or 2 to get the hang of the guitar...then finances willing...off to the techs!

So, very fine work done expertly and quickly is the ideal, how's that?

Sorry, what was the question? [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Archived