Gibson Brands Forums

An astounding product review in Guitar World: Axe Fx

RudyH

I was really stunned to view the CD video review of the Fractal Audio Axe FX pre-amp guitar processor. It was characterized as a no-compromises way of, among other things, duplicating tube amp sound. This is a device similar to the Line6 Pod, but with much more computing power.

Assuming this characterization is correct, do you believe it presages a shake-up in the amp industry? After all, it's all about sound, not about the technology that is used to implement it. If digital can be made to sound as good as analog, why not use it? It'll be more reliable and durable than tubes.

I am confident that *eventually* there will be something else that replaces tube amps in both sound AND feel but I haven't found it yet. The other guitar player in my band uses a Line 6 XT Live floor board through a couple of Tech21 amps and, while it sounds very good, my Mesa kicks the snots out of his setup.

IMO, the problem with emulating tube amps is just that - it's an emulation, not the real thing; it's a copy trying to sound like something else. The problem really comes from whatever stage in the amp/processor does the overdrive and, as it stands, nothing clips as elegantly as a vacuum tube (or "valve" for our friends on the other side of the pond). I'm not saying this as a tube amp snob either; I'd love for there to be something that works as good as a tube amp that is more compact and weighs a lot less than what I'm dealing with now. I just haven't found it and doubt that it exists yet.

I am confident that *eventually* there will be something else that replaces tube amps in both sound AND feel but I haven't found it yet. The other guitar player in my band uses a Line 6 XT Live floor board through a couple of Tech21 amps and' date=' while it sounds very good, my Mesa kicks the snots out of his setup.

IMO, the problem with emulating tube amps is just that - it's an emulation, not the real thing; it's a copy trying to sound like something else. The problem really comes from whatever stage in the amp/processor does the overdrive and, as it stands, nothing clips as elegantly as a vacuum tube (or "valve" for our friends on the other side of the pond). I'm not saying this as a tube amp snob either; I'd love for there to be something that works as good as a tube amp that is more compact and weighs a lot less than what I'm dealing with now. I just haven't found it and doubt that it exists yet.

[/quote']

+1 Perfectly stated, Rich, and with no bias. (sorry, it had to be done)

They (fractual) are working with Atomic amps... any of you guys heard of them? I played through one of them one time. I tried it with both a BOSS GT-8 floorboard and with a behringer V-amp module... they sounded great thourgh it, it was unbelievable. So I guess that AXEfx thing must be something else.

Archived