Gibson Brands Forums

Jethro Tull guitar interview

blindboygrunt

Huge JT fan here! I love Ian's intricate guitar work and embellished vocals. Wond'ring Aloud is my fav JT acoustic song. I play it for my wife while she makes me breakfast on Sunday mornings!

Wond'ring Aloud

Yep that song sounds like classic Jethro Tull. What guitar did you use? Where did all the other instruments come from?

A huge admirer of Tull here - thanx for posting.

Never tried to copy or look into his playing, but really dig Andersons acoustic material and style.

Seems the things I adore is from the Aria and Martin 0 period - which means silk & steel.

Well, a lot of players used those back then - I still sometimes do while Ian himself has gone 'coated'.

No, , , I can't play that damn Thick as A Brick intro theme, , , but once shook hands with the man in the local Tivoli - the day after attending the concert in town. .

It's painful for me to watch Ian struggle with his vocals now. When an awesome singer like Ian has serious voice problems it's just very sad. There are a lot of less talented vocalists that are still singing the same lousy songs in their 60's. Vocal failure just shouldn't happen to brilliant and genuinely nice people like Ian. I hope that through some miracle he can get his voice back. I'm a huge fan of Tull.

Thanks for the informative interview. He sure comes across as a good person.

He is very liberal with his specifications of equipment. He seems to want to be helpful during the interview for musicians.

Good attitude!

What a consummate pro; like he's demonstrated for decades.

It's painful for me to watch Ian struggle with his vocals now. When an awesome singer like Ian has serious voice problems it's just very sad. There are a lot of less talented vocalists that are still singing the same lousy songs in their 60's. Vocal failure just shouldn't happen to brilliant and genuinely nice people like Ian. I hope that through some miracle he can get his voice back. I'm a huge fan of Tull.

This asthmatic down-side started over 20 years ago where he had to leave stage regularly during the show.

Though I saw them twice since (one okay - one under-sung), I can't go no more. .

A huge shame.

The silver-pipe has taken over - he plays it good, but I want to hear the magnificent songs by words. .

Very good interview.He always comes across as a decent bloke with ego well in check. And in his gear descriptions he could fit in as a forum nerd without any worries.

Yea JT were a big part of my teenage - 20's.

They were the first major overseas act I saw when I was still at school.It was after Aqualung but before Thick as Brick. Wonderful concert.

In Oz we used to get LP records months after their overseas release. So I actually imported Thick as a b.from the UK.I must have had one of the first copies in Sydney I think.It was the full newspaper cover job.I was well versed on the trials and tribulations of young Gerald Bostock.

I loved all those thematic albums.It may have been prog. rock but the humor and humanity of his lyrics made them something special.They were like little symphonies for the everyman.

With me the deal with Tull was I was really impressed with the rhythm section of Cornick and Bunker. I always felt their departure really took something away from Tull.

You might find interest for this not too long clip.

Matured Ian - now a softer soul - presents a light run though the founding years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GObmgmmjrts

Am I wrong, , , no mentioning of Martin Barre. .

Yep that song sounds like classic Jethro Tull. What guitar did you use? Where did all the other instruments come from?

The acoustic is my Songwriter (now gone). The bass is a Rickenbacker 4003 (now gone). The strings and keys are MIDI sampled (Roland).

That second video posting was great too. I like where Ian talks about all kinds of personalities contributing to a band's music making. I loved Jethro Tull back in the day and still do. There is a certain kind of British/Celtic bent that always appealed to me, especially acoustically, that Jethro Tull had in spades. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that Ian was very hands-on and involved with pretty much every part of Tull. He booked the gigs and even drove the bus, which jives perfectly with him discussing how he even changes the strings on his own instruments. I got to see Tull at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio in '72 or '73 and I don't remember them playing long jams of every song but my recollection is that it was extremely high energy, verging on manic, and they started with their first album and played every song, in the order they were played on the album, then they did their second album the same way and so on through every album they had done up to that time. It was hours of incredible music and everyone was completely spent by the time we walked out of there sometime in the early morning of the next day. The only thing I ever saw that lasted longer was when Hot Tuna played Joe College Weekend at Duke University and Jorma announced around 11:30pm (after already playing for about two hours) that they were going to play everything they knew that was in the key of E! I guess those young guys didn't pay union dues.

]Am I wrong, , , no mentioning of Martin Barre. . [/size][/font]

I had always heard that Mick Abrams was replaced because he was pretty much a blues guitar player and Anderson wanted to move the band in a different direction. Enter Martin Barre. While I was a fan of SAbrams there is not denying thatBarre's technique is superlaive and was ut to really good use in Tull.

Archived