Gibson Brands Forums

All solid wood Epi 12 string ?

agradeleous

Hey EL captain that's alright 😃 I like that where boys from ? You need a trip to Nc lol you'd have some fun . But unfortunately I could not tell for sure you on the right or in black on the left . If your on the right I'd like close of that head stock lol

Well I think I'm going to try out a Guild d212xlce the price is good and it's going to be a mail order try out but the seller is a great guy so in two weeks or so I should know if she's a keeper........ If so how to tell the wife she won't be happy .

Guild is still on the table just a few more days till I can place the order .

I did however go to GC all they had was a Taylor 314 I believe it was a auditorium body I think smaller then s dread with rounded bouts anyway it sounded good but man it was 1600 U.S. I thing I want more guitar for that money lol

Anyway tuning her down busted it lol she lost intonation and became floppy sounding . Not sure what the strings were gauge most likely 10s but they did seem very lose when tuned to D oh well .

Few more days .

• 2 weeks later...

Update again lol

I am the proud new owner of a Guild F212XLCE made in the USA . I always wanted a guitar made here at home she's my first and I'm am becoming a Guild fan .

I might have posted but I bought a Gad f130 she was a triple o body had a great balanced tone well built and very clean in and out only the notes seemed to dull out father up the neck I went so she went back out of fear lol but by no means does that describe the rest of the them.

Anyway my f212 is all solid wood jumbo Sitka top with red spruce or Adirondack bracing and mahogany body . She's a no frills guitar a plain Jane but pretty none the less with the D-tar pick up system and she's a cutaway which is perfect for me.

She is a 2013 model and in perfect condition . The owner gave me a great deal . He also had the action set low which is ok but on my end a tad to low I'm getting buzz in standard so I'm off in the am to my luthier for a set up .

She does not seem to have a lot top vibration but let me tell ya she is sweet with well balanced tone lovely lows and sparkly highs from tip to toe . Her harmonics are brilliant .

My back up was gunna be a Stonebridge but no need now but SB will remain on the list .

Ok so after her set up I'll do some pics and a sound bite if your interested

Oh the wife even says she likes it yaaaaaaay .... What's she up to ? Lmao

Yes sir for what it's worth only having it half a day lol took her to my Luther and he agrees with my assessment of the set up .

So theres another 200.00 bucks spent and about a week before I see her .

But I have no doubts that Nick will make her sing .

• 2 weeks later...

Cool I need to look that up that and the bridge doctor lol

AUDIO , AUDIO , AUDIO please

I've not tried the Martian silk . I just tried a set of John Pearse but did not like them, on the 6 string that is .

Changed out for the D'Addario XMP is that right ? The coated ones lol their my first set but I like this a lot so far now these are on my BlueRidge .

I have not got my Guild back yet ....... Grrrrrr but I'll check in today to see if all is well ! This will be 8 days guess he's busy .

😃

• 2 weeks later...

here some pics of the new guild

Pretty darn awesome. I don't know how you get those photos inside the guitar, lol.

I'm still wandering around the landscape of lower-end 12-strings. What about the Martin D12X1AE (HPL b/s, solid spruce top, I like that richlite fretboard...)? Or how about the Alvarez Yairi WY-1-12 (solid cedar top, assumed lam rosewood b/s)?

Myself I won't go martain HPL or richlite anything even if it rounds ok there's enough synthetic stuff in this world I don't want my guitar to be one of them . Again that's just me .

Solid woods gave a much warmer woodier sound then laminates . I had laminates all my life till a few years back with the purchase of the DR500 there's a more desirable tone with the DR over all the lams I fade and the ones I do have .

There's also a difference between solid woods but there more mixed .

The alveraze makes some good guitars on the high end side not sure about the lams

You know all about playing them so go do that take notes if needed then take a chance on the BLUERIDGE which most likely you'll have to order it's certainly is close to your price range. They're well built clean and some of the best detailed guitars out there along with finish . There tones are based of the martain sound.

I regretted all the money wasted on other guitars till I got my Blueridge but I can say no laminate matched them in my ears .

Try the BR it has a fast neck to if you don't like send it back yes you'll be out shipping but then you'll know .

If you do order one go through a store that has checked the guitars out and give them a checklist to make sure what you get has no defects .

If decide not to try it not get a all solid wood guitar I'll understand I'll scratch the hair off my head but I'll understand, lol

Just treat your self you deserve it ...... Right ? You do don't you .............

The inside photos are taken with my iPhone just shove in there and click around lol

The inside shots are the Dr500mce and there's some of the Blueridge that's the rosewood one

No inside shots of the Guild yet . 😊

• 9 months later...

Just wondering if Epi made one and what model it or they are .

All of a sudden the thought just popped into my head why not loose some stuff and get a solid wood 12. I have a Luna Trinity 12 there's an old youtube demo of it on my page of it.

But I just can't get the solid wood desire for a 12 out my head LOL figure Epi would be the place to start.

I searched some but I have not found anything yet except the laminate model.

Thanks for any direction you all might have :)

Have a great Easter and Passover and any other Holiday I missed ;)

Ags

Not quite all solid but I have a ltd ed Epiphone Roy Orbison 12 string which has solid hog back and 5 ply hog sides . it's a faithful replica of Orbison 's 1962 Bard and has a nice sound for a cheaper 12 string, more mellow than a Taylor 150e for example. Its away for some setup work fret leveling etc at the moment,I decided it was worth spending the money on as I couldn't find anything I liked as much without spending a whole lot more

For what it's worth...

I think that a 12-string that feels comfortable to the player, has a well-adjusted action to the player and string choice, will sound fine regardless. When a player doesn't have that in hand, there will be a bit of forcing of technique, and that never adds to tone.

Also, in an AE guitar, add the electric side of it and how well the player matches technique to that.

In short, if the guitar feels good, I tend to blame or credit the player, string and setup choices, and his/her technique rather than whether or not the instrument is made this or that way.

It always struck me as funny that some folks would spend more cash on guitar swaps to get "a sound" than hours of playing time while varying technique. That's true to me whether a 12, 6, classical or any sort of electric. It's as if to them the string choice, setup, etc., meant nothing.

I do thing that guitar body shape, neck shape, scale and such, change mightily how we perform.

Nothing against the high-end guitar. But how many of us have seen folks playing them and sounding not nearly as good as others playing laminate guitars with appropriate technique to the instrument and their "book."

m

For what it's worth...

I think that a 12-string that feels comfortable to the player, has a well-adjusted action to the player and string choice, will sound fine regardless. When a player doesn't have that in hand, there will be a bit of forcing of technique, and that never adds to tone.

Also, in an AE guitar, add the electric side of it and how well the player matches technique to that.

In short, if the guitar feels good, I tend to blame or credit the player, string and setup choices, and his/her technique rather than whether or not the instrument is made this or that way.

It always struck me as funny that some folks would spend more cash on guitar swaps to get "a sound" than hours of playing time while varying technique. That's true to me whether a 12, 6, classical or any sort of electric. It's as if to them the string choice, setup, etc., meant nothing.

I do thing that guitar body shape, neck shape, scale and such, change mightily how we perform.

Nothing against the high-end guitar. But how many of us have seen folks playing them and sounding not nearly as good as others playing laminate guitars with appropriate technique to the instrument and their "book."

m

Yeah, we all have our priorities. Whatever works is probably the best and different things work for each of us. All you can do is make yourself happy!

Cowboy...

(Yup, I wear boots and hat daily myself)

Yes...

The ideal would be slightly different for different folks, but to me, yeah, I'd like solid wood everything, but I'm also convinced that AE is the way to go. I bought two of the first AE guitars, Ovations, back in the '70s. They worked well for playing old-time, fiddle stuff, rock and country, on stage with mikes and fiddlers or in a saloon playing country/rock run through amps and/or a PA.

My ideal acoustic frankly would be an all-wood Epi PR4e with about a 24-inch scale, 9-42 acoustic strings and a doggone good PA to plug into. That's a flattop with about the same size and proportions as an ES175. I fingerpick 90 percent of the time. And if you're a real sorta cowboy, figure I've been doing fingerpicking for a lotta Ian Tyson material for decades... (Okay, last May's stroke took a lotta my left hand technique, but...)

m

Sorry to hear about your stroke Milod. It hasn't affected your ability to give great advice. Technique vs tone wood and other embellishments - a good debate!

As you mentioned a great player can make any piece of junk sound great but I've witnessed lots of players with less technique murder a great instrument

My favorite story on that has to do with my "cheapie" Epiphone PR4e.

I was doing a cowboy music gig in Montana and taking photos of a Brit newspaper/video crew doing some material in this ranch region.

A couple of the video guys had done music vids in the U.K., so I asked them to tell me how the guitar was sounding through the board...

They were pretty impressed and asked what I did to get the tone...

All I did was play the doggone thing my way, fingerpicking with my strings, 9-42.

But if I'd been beating on the doggone thing, I think it likely would have sounded more like a plywood box with baling wire for strings.

m

Cowboy...

(Yup, I wear boots and hat daily myself)

Yes...

The ideal would be slightly different for different folks, but to me, yeah, I'd like solid wood everything, but I'm also convinced that AE is the way to go. I bought two of the first AE guitars, Ovations, back in the '70s. They worked well for playing old-time, fiddle stuff, rock and country, on stage with mikes and fiddlers or in a saloon playing country/rock run through amps and/or a PA.

My ideal acoustic frankly would be an all-wood Epi PR4e with about a 24-inch scale, 9-42 acoustic strings and a doggone good PA to plug into. That's a flattop with about the same size and proportions as an ES175. I fingerpick 90 percent of the time. And if you're a real sorta cowboy, figure I've been doing fingerpicking for a lotta Ian Tyson material for decades... (Okay, last May's stroke took a lotta my left hand technique, but...)

m

Indeed! Cowboying gets to be a lifestyle for some of us - it pervades whatever we're doing, even if it's working a conventional job that doesn't involve horses once you've awakened to the fact that it's a better alternative than poverty in your old age. Fortunately I managed to spend time in both worlds most of my life: English professor/cowboy - quite the unlikely combination, but xxxx 'em if they can't take a joke! Now retired from academia, but will NEVER give up cowboying. My horse herd suffered seriously (in number) due to an interval of being legally blind and a fall that broke both my already-ailing knees and necessitated having both knees replaced with additional bone sculpting on the left one, but it'll get built up again. Had to wear flat heel roper boots for a while, but am working gradually back into real ones (could you use a couple pairs of size 14 Justin Ropers?) once again. I can now, at least, chase my Stetson across the pasture if the chin strap fails (they can call 'em stampede strings, but we know they're chin straps) and the wind takes it. I'm really proud of the permanent hoof mark on my left hip where my big Thoroughbred stud accidentally (my fault, not his) landed a good kick a few years back, and there's a great story about a Quarter Horse yearling. Better stop while I still can.... Ian Tyson is one of my all-time heroes; doesn't hurt that he had one of the few slope shouldered B-45 12 strings in captivity, either. My playing, though, lends itself more to Ramblin' Jack Elliott kinds of things since I basically flatpick. Well, now you know the worst: long winded. Haven't exactly decided what my ideal guitar would be, but the notion of some sort of hybrid Gibson J-185/Martin 0000 comes to mind sometimes....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived