Gibson Brands Forums

I'm buying a new Gibson soon. Help.

axuality

First of all, does anyone understand the sentiment of owning only one guitar at a time? If I have only one guitar, I feel like I can give it more loyalty, focus and get to know it better. I respect others who like many guitars too, though of course.

That said, I'm probably going to trade off my 335 for a Les Paul. I've owned nothing but a 335 for 36 years. I like the fullness and the variety in sound. Recently I really gave a Les Paul a lot of playing time, and discovered that I love that punch of a solid body. I realize I'll be giving up the 'bloom'/fullness and variety of sound.

I am trying to decide between a Classic (chambered) and a Standard (chambered). I don't want used (yes, it's probably a great idea, but let me have new :^o, and I like the thought of chambered because it's a TINY bit more like the hollow 335 I'll be giving up, and the lighter weight is nice.

I've looked at many Classics and Standards. and unless I'm hallucinating because of the lower price, it seems like the Classic is PHYSICALLY BUILT cheaper. Is this my imagination? -- I don't care about a fancy finish, or pearloid vs pearl, I will put in '57 classic pickups, and neck size isn't a consideration. But are there any QUALITY OF CONSTRUCTION differences between the two? I don't even care if a better grade of mahogany or maple is used in one, I DO care about how the guitar is CONSTRUCTED PHYSICALLY- was as much care put into construction, do you think?. -- Anybody have feedback, other than to say that my post is too dang long? :^o

Thank you from a "risk taker".

I certainly understand that sentiment. I don't like changing guitars, although I have three. When I pick one up it's not for just a day or two. I'll play that one guitar for months.

On the Classic vs. Standard question, I recently read a book on the subject of Gibson electric guitars and the history of the word "classic" is that it is a code word for a more cheaply made guitar. The standard is the better one.

I also understand the value of buying a new one. This is my practice when buying durable things that I will use a lot. I know the history and have no concerns about whether it's counterfeit or has been altered in sum unfortunate way.

Just be sure to try the specific guitars you are shopping for. When I shopped for my ES335 I hated the first one I tried. The one I bought just sounded better than any other.

If you like playing your 335 and don't need the money to purchase the Les Paul, I'd hold on to your trusty old guitar. I hear what you're saying about owning one guitar but there's also something very nice and handy about having a few different voices to speak with.

I think their the same body. That is the Classic and the Standard. I am biased, but I don't think you can beat the bite of the Bustbucker Pros on the Standard. As for chambered or not. All Standards are Chambered. You will need to go Custom if you want solid.

Archived