Gibson Brands Forums

Larger Body Test Trax

BluesKing777

Just so you know, I didn't guess the other 2 because I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with the CEO Martin, and very little with the LG-0,,like played one once.

Oh and BTW, I was right. Yup Me. I got them right.

Let me guess:

"Brought to you by ELIXIR strings. The ONLY string that sounds the same eating fried chicken at your gilrfriends, Popsicle's on the porch, or in the studio".

Is that true?

No wonder they are so popular!

No more hand washing! Wahoo!

Long life strings would have been real handy years ago when I was totally broke playing in bands, though I probably couldn't afford them. I love new strings and have embraced working hard and changing strings all the time! The past is the reason - Murphy and his Law says that when you are on your last dollar and need to get through the gig, that string is going to break in, if not the first, then the second song of the set! A Mug's Game! I love new strings and would only join a band again if we were sponsored by, well currently, Elixir!!!! But good old Black Diamond or whatever they were then would do fine.

Chicken Pickin' and Chicken While Pickin'. - here we come!

BluesKing777.

Got the bigs, but missed the smalls again?!?!?!??! Any changes in mike palcement,B? Becasue the L0 sounds brighter by a hair in the mix (although I suspect my recollection of test one interfered with my listening). Ps got to hand it to Martin, they made a credible take on a Gibson, aided tho, again, by B's fabulous figners.

Got the bigs, but missed the smalls again?!?!?!??! Any changes in mike palcement,B? Becasue the L0 sounds brighter by a hair in the mix (I suspect my recollectio of test one interfered with my listening). Ps got to hand it to Martin, they made a credible take on a Gibson, aided tho, again, by B's fabulous figners.

Thanks all....

Mic placement changes: I was the guinea pig for a friend in his home recording studio and mentioning mic placement changes above reminds me that he would spend a lot of time adjusting the mic to suit the various guitars, whereas my mic is almost glued to the mic stand which is almost glued to the floor, and not forgetting my chair in the same spot..... an ongoing experiment, we will call it.. [flapper]

So it just occurred to me that with say the bigger guitars, the sound hole and all kinds of things are different places physically from the smaller guitars.......see what I'm getting at?

BluesKing777.

My memory can be a bit hazy at times...but wasn't the prize for the first correct answer your Elliott Brass capo?....Awesome! Thanks BK.

Nope! [-X

After dissecting my own recordings above, I noticed a couple of things, one being that all the guitars did the first section and last section of the tune well, but the second section was best on the J45. Which I was playing when I decided to record it.... Which is probably why Lightnin Hopkins' weapon of choice was the J50 he is famous for....... Which is the main reason I bought the J45 - I played a similar tune trying the guitar out at the shop.....

And the tune is from Kenny Sultan's "Blues Guitar Legends" book, which has a CD as well as TAB - Kenny plays it WAY better than me!

All the riffs are in the book if anyone wants it:

http://www.amazon.com/Kenny-Sultan-Blues-Guitar-Legends/dp/B000PFUAMS

BluesKing777.

Archived