Gibson Brands Forums

Sj 12 Fret vs. SJ200

jw3571

What are the differences in tone from these two guitars. I've never been able to play either one, I don't have a Gibson dealer around me excepts GC and they never have these. Which has better bass response, which has better highs? Which is louder?

Did you receive the 12 fret Southern Jumbo from Music Zoo yet? That sounds like a special guitar; even though the big '200 tends to have fine bass note clarity, they're not as loud as their size might have you think they'd be. Your incoming 12-fret SJ might be a nice compromise; getting the bridge location further into the bass tone zone of the lower bout, and it might be a more comfy guitar to spend a lot of time with. Also, it's shorter scale length tends to be more finger style friendly.

The TV will get you louder. I played several J200's and was underwhelmed with their sound, especially how quiet they were. Then I played a TV model and there was the sound, and loudness, I was looking for. Needless to say, I brought it home. It does have a crisper attack, which doesn't sustain like mahogany or rosewood. But, you hit that low E string and it just rumbles. Never played a 12 fret so I can't help you there.

I've had four SJ200 and like most good guitar builders like G and M most of their products are high quality good sounding instruments but usually only one out of ten is special. The fun is finding that one.

Archived