Gibson Brands Forums

Is This Something To Be Concerned About?

jaygl

Am I just paranoid or is this something to worry about? I never noticed it before, so it seems as though it just recently developed. It's a pair of small splits in the rosewood fretboard at the first fret under the high E, right at the nut. I can feel it with my finger nail so it's not just cosmetic. It stands out color wise against the RW, so, I would have noticed it for sure.It seems to run along the existing grain. It's fairly small...pics are zoomed way in.. Is it a concern....warranty issue maybe? Anyone have experience with something like this, and if so will it stop there or continue to get worse?

IMG_0032_zpsohsxodgj.jpg

IMG_0030_zpsvczdzyti.jpg

I'd guess the color you see is skin in the grain of the wood..

Scrub it a bit with a tooth brush or try an pick it gently with my finger nail or if your anal a sharp knife blade very gently to remove the foreign matter..

I also would oil the board with lemon oil, leave it on for about five minutes & then wipe off the excess..

BTW from the picture, Is that a 2014?? No Nibs, long Frets, Binding, Non Brass Nut.. Had to ask..

I'd guess the color you see is skin in the grain of the wood..

Scrub it a bit with a tooth brush or try an pick it gently with my finger nail or if your anal a sharp knife blade very gently to remove the foreign matter..

I also would oil the board with lemon oil, leave it on for about five minutes & then wipe off the excess..

BTW from the picture, Is that a 2014?? No Nibs, long Frets, Binding, Non Brass Nut.. Had to ask..

It is a 2014 yes. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go.

I thought at first it looked like peanut butter??

You been eating while playing again..HaHa..

It should be just fine, Doesn't look damaged at all to me from here..

Rosewood does have those grain ridges..

Lol...no eating while playing. I'm in Canada and it's still winter. Maybe it developed from the dryness of having heat on?? I play it about 2-3 hours a day, so it's out of the case alot.

I've got a 21 year old Gibson LP with a rosewood board that I'm ready to clean up now that looks much worse & really dry too, It has like white stripes around all the frets that at first I thought was super glue but after just scrubbing around the worst looking one appears to be skin or powdered sugar from a doughnut, Could also be car polish too??

Look Hard at this pic & you can see what what I mean..Even around the pickup screws & rings too..

I'm gonna polish the frets with DevrDul after masking the frets off with blue painters tape & then will clean the fret board with a tooth brush & possibly a piece of white scotch brite pad, I don't use steel wool on guitars as the rubbish from it is a mess & will magneticly attract to the pickups, Then some Lemon Oil..

Congrats on the 2014 Lester jaygl

ACEMIII%20IIII.jpg

Archived