Gibson Brands Forums

The Brands That Define Our Lives

SteveFord

Nikon, although some kit lenses are marvelous for my daily work but aren't as strongly made as in the old days

Scotch, Laphroaig.

I'm with you on both these choices

Kit lenses are fun but not for serious work.

As for Scotch, maybe Talisker should get a look in a well.

However,as a Scotsman, I would say "there's no such thing as bad Scotch Whisky"

but occasionally Seratelli that's made in New Jersey, if that's in the U.S. .

m

I know that most of the nation will not believe it but New Jersey really is part of the U.S. Yes, I know which part and I'm originally from there.

Gotta have your Swiss Army Knife on your key chain for emergencies, how could I forget that one. Levy straps and D'Addario strings do seem to be the top of the heap.

Craftsman hand tools for reasonably priced items. Not nearly in the same league as Snap On but they work well enough.

I also forgot all of the defunct tube manufacturers. In my case I've pretty much settled on Sylvania for the smaller ones, Winged C for the power tubes. You know the world has gone off it's axis when you miss the good old days when Russia made great vacuum tubes after the US threw the industry away.

As for Scotch, maybe Talisker should get a look in a well...

[thumbup]

My whisky of choice, Davy....although a nice Lagavullin is right up there, too.

As far as camera gear goes;

I really loved Nikon's film cameras right up until they brought out the F3........but that's just me being an old grouch!.................[laugh]

Pip.

1431643939[/url]' post='1657935']

Gibson guitars,colt pistols,Winchester rifles,Muck boots,Vox amps,Folgers coffee,and Marlboro 100's these are a few of my favorite things.....

Ohhh, yes. Love those but I agree with Searcy, the older I get, brand names don't concern me as much. Still love Gibson, added a Epiphone a couple days ago, my first. Like Gretch have a Vox amp, love to have a Fender Strat, never owned one. I am a gun collector so have lots of brands, do not hunt, just collect. Have the Winchester, Colt, Magnum Researce, Remington, military to western and modern and antique. Clothes don't matter as long as I am comfortable and loose fitting. Shoes, I like Sketchers for comfort. Tried Red Wings at the railroad but they always hurt my feet. I used to play chess at tournaments and had a expensive German Clock and a Expensive Staunten chess set made of Mahahgony and Ebony as well as a collection of sets. Still have them. Used to drag race, still is in my blood but quit 33 yrs ago.

1432073923[/url]' post='1659374']

It looks like my counterfeit boot post disappeared; the point I was trying to make is whatever it is that you buy, make sure that you're dealing with a reputable vendor as the world has become a very untrustworthy place. It's not just "is this a real Les Paul?" anymore.

My apologies to the moderators for their trouble.

I agree. One reason I have never investigated into the Epiphone line is because they were supossidly a cheap off brand of the American made Gibson. And made in China. Too many guys on the Gibson board have changed my mind and so I decided to check out the line. When I started to play some I finally gave in and bought my first, a gloss black Epiphone Standard. When I think about my Gold top selling for $3,450.00 and picking up the Epiphone for $385.00 the sound and looks of both guitars are so close. Guys on the link have convinced me of the reliability and quality of an Epiphone. Thanks to Cougar and Hayden. msp_thumbup.gif

I can scratch Sidi boots off of my list. I just got a pair and the Italians are outsourcing to Romania and they just felt incredibly cheap and wretched.

I ordered a set of Chippewa Rally boots which will outlast me. My wife bought a pair and they're incredibly heavy duty.

Archived